November 21, 2018, 06:32:53 AM

Author Topic: Out West, Obama Faces Gun Battle  (Read 817 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Out West, Obama Faces Gun Battle
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »
Courtesy ABC News - http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/out-west-obama.html

September 15, 2008 10:26 PM

DENVER, Colo. -- Colorado is home to more than 100,000 dues-paying members of the National Rifle Association, all of whom should have received THIS MAILER sometime in the last week, which says he would be "the most anti-gun president in American history," and refers gun rights enthusiasts to the website GunBanObama.com.

Obama is aware of this of course, and he's on the radio airwaves out here -- as well as, according to readers of Ben Smith at Politico -- Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland. Virginia, Ohio, and New Hampshire.

The ad features former Washington Redskin Ray Schoenke, who helms the American Hunters and Shooters Association, which styles itself as a moderate alternative to the NRA, while the NRA deems it to be a bogus bunch of gun-grabbers.

"It's important to me that our next President protects our Second Amendment rights to own guns and defend ourselves," says Schoenke. "Barack Obama and John McCain will both make sure we can keep our guns. But what about keeping our jobs? Barack's got a real plan that invests in creating jobs here at home and cuts taxes a thousand bucks for working families. John McCain? I saw a lot of cheap shots in my day, but McCain's false attacks on Obama are just a fake to hide the ball. His plan sells out American workers. McCain will keep giving tax breaks to companies that ship our jobs overseas. And he'll look the other way while China breaks our trade deals. It's the same old Bush playbook. Look, when the coach loses eight years in a row, you don't bring him back for a ninth season! We just can't afford more of the same."

Listen to the ad HERE. (http://obama.3cdn.net/7e507fa12a37964e5b_ffm6va8pw.MP3)

Obama's facing some tough skeptics out here, though, and comments like the ones he made in Duryea, Penn., earlier this month don't necessarily help.

"Thereís rumors going around that you're going to take away the guns," said a hunter at a glass factory.

"I think this is a great question so I just want to clear it up," Obama said. "Because I know there are probably some sportsmen here in the audience. I believe in the Second Amendment, and if you are a law-abiding gun owner, you have nothing to fear from an Obama administration! I mean this has been this has been peddled again and againÖ

"Iíll be honest, and Iím sure thereís some NRA members here," Obama continued. "Their general attitude is 'Look, we donít want anything, and if you even breathe the word "gun control" or "gun safety," then you must want to take away everybodyís guns.' Well, thatís just not true...

"The bottom line is this. If youíve got a rifle, youíve got a shotgun, youíve got a gun in your house, Iím not taking it away. Alright? So they can keep on talking about it but this is just not true. And by the way, hereís another thing youíve got to understand. Even if I wanted to take it away, I couldnít get it done. I donít have the votes in Congress."

That "I don't have the votes in Congress" line has ricocheted around the countryÖ

- jpt

Jake Tapper is ABC News' Senior National Correspondent based in the network's Washington bureau. He writes about politics and popular culture and covers a range of national stories.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Out West, Obama Faces Gun Battle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
I beleive in checks and balances. A Democratic President  + a Demorcratic Congress = disaster. Even a Republican combination wouldn't be good.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

BBF

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:46:36 AM »
Mosparky:
 We had several years of a conservative minority govt here and they did far better then any previous majority bunch. We have an election on the 14th of Oct. It appears that the present govt will achieve a majority. We will then see how "Blue" it gets. I hope it gets blue enough to keep any red that might come from that Arab American out of my country.

btw. "blue" here is conservative

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Mosparky:
 We had several years of a conservative minority govt here and they did far better then any previous majority bunch. We have an election on the 14th of Oct. It appears that the present govt will achieve a majority. We will then see how "Blue" it gets. I hope it gets blue enough to keep any red that might come from that Arab American out of my country.

btw. "blue" here is conservative
You need billboards on the border saying, "Obama, stay on your side of the border. We have enough trouble"!
What BC says is absolutely true, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »
What BC says is absolutely true, too.

I didn't say it, just posted the article to "edjumucate" people a little. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

BBF

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
we can look forward to have the registration of long firearms removed from the Firearms Act if the present govt wins a majority. That right there is enough of a reason for me to vote for them.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
we can look forward to have the registration of long firearms removed from the Firearms Act if the present govt wins a majority. That right there is enough of a reason for me to vote for them.
Sure would be!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments