October 20, 2017, 03:04:09 AM

Author Topic: 43 y/o and finally bagged my first buck!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
43 y/o and finally bagged my first buck!
« on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
Todayís story:

I took the day off from coming back from Washington DC on business to hunt today.  Well, overslept this morning and didnít make it out for the morning hunt.  Not a good way to start off the day of hunting. 

Then this afternoon I go out to load the truck and it has a flat.  So I change the flat and now I am running late getting to the area I am to hunt today.  Walk in around 3:55 and go to set a camera just inside the woods off of a bean field about 100 yards south of where my stand it.  I jump two deer as I enter the tree line.  Now I am thinking I really blew the evening hunt.  Get the camera set and to the tree stand.

Have to finalize some trimming of two limbs hanging down in the way.  Get it done and get settled in around 5 pm.  It is warm and a breeze coming out of the south this evening.  Oh well just hope to see some deer coming out into the field tonight.

I donít see anything and it is getting around 6:30 now.  So I take out the rattle bag and lightly hit it some and throw in a few grunts too.  Still nothing and I am really getting discouraged.  Then I hear something behind me in the woods but canít make it out.  I start to think it is a dang tree rat (squirrel) causing the noise.  I finally look around and about 7 yards behind the tree I see a rack sticking out amongst the brush.  Dang, it kinda looked pretty nice and I am starting to get really excited.  I am having a hard time keeping track of him since he is directly behind the tree I am in.  I glance around the other side of the tree but canít find him now.  But keep hearing him rub the brush behind me.  Then I finally remember to grab my bow from the bow hanger.  No sooner than I get my bow I see him appear right beside the stand to my left.  Oh he has a split G2 on the left side; I remember getting a clip of him from a camera about a Ĺ mile away.  Good, he is coming out the trail that goes right out in front of me to the bean field.

He gets about 8 yards from the stand I think, dang it I forgot to stand.  Oh well, I will shoot from the sitting position.  I start to draw back but he starts to eat from a brush in front of me and I freeze.  He decides to move along toward the field and I finish my draw.  He about 15 yards from me just at the edge of the field and is giving me a quartering away shot.  Settle in and thud!  The tracer nock lights up, the Easton St. Epic with a 100 grain Striker broadhead is off to its target and it is a pass thru and into the ground.  Off he goes out into the bean field about 60 yards and stops.  Then he wobbles a little and falls over right there.  Finally I have gotten my first buck.  Not a giant but he will do.  I will be taking some pictures in the morning before I take him to the butcher shop.  I will get them posted tomorrow sometime.

Now I think I will jump the state line and see if I can bag a bigger buck in Missouri.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/ksfrenchy/Hunting/IMG_0773.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/ksfrenchy/Hunting/IMG_0780.jpg

Off to the butcher we go.............

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/ksfrenchy/Hunting/IMG_0790.jpg

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:01:00 AM by Big58cal »
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: 43 y/o and finally bagged my first buck!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:49:07 AM »
Way to go. O0 O0 Can't wait to see the pics. :)
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

turkeynutz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
Well congrads on the first this year! O0 I live in Missouri now and aint quite got their regs understood yet. Im in an area that has so many diff. regs in it, dont know what I can shoot. I know I cant turkey hunt in the fall and theres no doe's allowed either.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
Good going, Rookie!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks JA and others......

Links to the pics were added to the original post above for you all to see.
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:24:47 AM »
Thats a nice first deer  O0 O0

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:47:45 AM »
Nice looking buck. And a great shot too.  O0 O0
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
Way to go Rookie!!!!! O0 O0 Very nice buck, he will look great on your wall.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 11:16:32 PM »
Nice pics bud. Heavy body on that one, looks like. Congrads again. O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
OUT-FREAKING STANDING!!!!  O0

That's a good buck by anyone's standards.  He's got a good heavy body and is at least 2.5 years old.  Congrats on a good dear! O0  
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments