December 13, 2017, 11:27:23 PM

Author Topic: The Training Has Begun.....  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
The Training Has Begun.....
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
The SRT (Squirrel Response Team) training took another step over the weekend. O0  I wasn't really planning on going squirrel hunting this year, but decided to take the boy out.  We managed to find 1 fox squirrel that was either blind and deaf, very brazen, or very stupid. ;D

We saw quite a few squirrels, and heard a bunch more, but we couldn't get to them.  Being the boy's first hunt, I didn't want to take him on too much of an adventure  :wink: , so I kept us on some old logging roads.  If I had been by myself, I wouldn't have had any trouble getting a limit.  But I wasn't out after a limit of squirrels. :wink:

The one that we got, I could see him rattling the tree limbs on off down the hill a little.  I told Mason to stay by this one tree and I slipped on down the hill about 20 yards.  After I shot and the squirrel hit the ground, I turned around and saw Mason pumping his fist in the air. ;D  Once we got down the hill and picked the squirrel up, I stressed the importance and seriousness of what I had just done by killing the squirrel and taking a life.  Not to mention, the squirrel missing part of his head really hit home to him what I have been telling him about acting responsibly with guns, and how dangerous they can be if not used/handled properly.

All in all, it was a really good morning.  I wasn't too worried about getting anything (wanted to get at least 1, which we did), but just enjoying being out in the woods. O0

And here are the "after effects" of having to get up at 5:00 AM and drive down to 'Mr. Bob's & Nanna Carol's' to go squirrel hunting. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:28:11 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Training Has Begun.....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
Great job BC. You got that boy off to a good start. Now your plans of not squirrel hunting this year are probably shot. Eveytime he sees you doing nothing, it'll be time to hit the woods. After all, he ain't christened that rifle he got last year and all the target practice has got to be for something. O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

turkeynutz

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:38:06 PM »
Yep, sounds like he created a monster now. lol You wont rest til that boy gets him a few down. lol Great job though. I cant wait to get my grandson in the woods, he's got a couple more years to go though.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
Great job done there, BC!  O0 Remember what I have been telling you about the boy being a chip off the old block?  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
Well, I found a good place to take him while I was deer hunting this weekend.  A bug flew into my eye, so I reached up real quick to rub my eye.  When I did, a little gray squirrel saw me move. >:(  He proceeded to start barking at me, which in turn got 4 others around me barking. :tickedoff  Then there were the 2-3 that didn't know what was going on that just kinda sat and looked around but didn't say anything.  All of them were within easy rifle range if I had had the .17.

The one that started all of the barking though came within about a hair of getting a 358 grain Barnes Expander bullet after listening to him for about a half hour. ;D  Decided that I didn't want to spend one of my expensive bullets on little gray squirrel, even though he seriously deserved to die! :twisted: ;D

The tough part is going to begetting the boy down there.  It's looking like it's going to be about a month before we'll get to go, and by then it may be too cold to get him out there. :'(  I'll have to wait and see though.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
Aw that's super awesome BC. O0
Not gonna lie...those pictures brought a tear to my eye.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
Aw that's super awesome BC. O0
Not gonna lie...those pictures brought a tear to my eye.

Give it time. O0  I can see you doing the same thing out there in a year or two. O0

If you can ever break free during the fall and bring the mini version of yourself down to KY, I think I might be able to scare up a squirrel or two for ya'. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
Give it time. O0  I can see you doing the same thing out there in a year or two. O0

If you can ever break free during the fall and bring the mini version of yourself down to KY, I think I might be able to scare up a squirrel or two for ya'. O0
Haha...that sounds great!
I can just imagine the conversation that would take place between me and my boss...

Me: "Hey, can I take a few days off to go hunting down in KY?"
Boss: "What are you gonna be hunting?"
Me: "Er-Ummm...Squirrel?"
Boss: "...."

:D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Ah, ya ain't got to tell him what for, just that you need to take a few days off. O0

Just start making a lot of references to guns, how Postal Employees had it all figured out, and walk around with a mean frown on your face.  He will (or at least "should") gladly give you a few days off. :roll: ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
Just start making a lot of references to guns, how Postal Employees had it all figured out, and walk around with a mean frown on your face.  He will (or at least "should") gladly give you a few days off. :roll: ;D
Lmao...done. O0

Facebook Comments