December 16, 2017, 05:41:04 PM

Author Topic: Is it just me  (Read 2020 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Is it just me
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »
or do the steel loads just plain kick harder than the lead game loads ? I usually shoot the hi-brass #6 loads for small game.
 I went duck hunting with the future son-in-law and had to have him pick up some #4 waterfowl loads for me. I honesly don't remember my lead loads kicking this hard, but the steel loads rattled my teeth. I was shooting a Winchester 1200 2 3/4 inch 12 Ga w/ imp cyl choke.
 I tried one shot from his Barretta 3 inch 12 Ga semi-auto and that one dang near hurt. I thought semi's were supposed to be lighter on recoil !!
 Maybe I've just gotten a bit recoil sensitive from years of not being in the field.

What do y'all think of them?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
Re: Is it just me
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »
I don't know, lol. We used #4 steel 2 3/4 12 gauge shot saturday and then had to go buy some more and all the store had was #6. I felt a difference, but that could have been because my should was sore from saturday morning.
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
No, they are definately harder hitting. I don't know if its the high velocity powder mix, the steel cramming through the choke, or possible a heavier load. I was shooting skeet with a half box of old steel I didn't trust on ducks since they had rusted up some and they were far different than my cheap skeet loads I finished the day off with. I usualy end up clubbing myself in the nose a few times on high shots with steel loads and bashing my cheak when I switch from lead practice to steel, becuase I am not remebering the greater recoil. 3'' #2's for a few hours usualy gives me a headache, but a half day of dove loads don't phase me a bit.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
I think you're just getting soft Mosparticus. :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
I think you're just getting soft Mosparticus. :twisted:
:roll: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments