November 20, 2017, 09:32:57 PM

Author Topic: Need help with my Red bone. Please help!!!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Mike in WV

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Need help with my Red bone. Please help!!!
« on: October 21, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
Has anybody here had much dealing with a redbone? I need help in a serious way. I think I got the dumbs one of the litter or is this just normal for them to be stubborn, hardheaded, retarded, lazy, and piss on everything? Worst of all she is a female that just has to piss on everything. She is five months old and I have worn out my hand, magizines, news papers, everything but the kitchen sink on this dog and still no results. Not trying to get advanced with her just basic things, like dont piss inside and stay off the furniture. Oh and by the way a shock collar just makes her piss more. What I am to do?
Give em the shaft }}=======}

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Need help with my Red bone. Please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »
Have you tried the puppy training pads?  If not, give them a shot.

House breaking a pup takes time.  Take her outside on a leash until she pees/poops and then take her back in.  Every hour or so, take her out until she does her business and then take her back in.  She'll eventually get the idea that she's supposed to do that stuff outside.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »
Yep, you got to train your self first to train the pup. No joke, it takes alot of patience that I dont have. O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »
Honestly...you get out of the dog what you put into the dog.

I got Two Bits when She was 7 months old.She had never been in the house beforte.It took me about 1 month to get her to stop pissing in the house.

Getting mad at the dog and beating on it may or may not work.9 times out of 10 it does not.The only way beating on the dog is going to do any good is if you catch her doing it.Then she knows why she is in trouble.

Forget those puppy pads...forget them.That only teaches a pup or dog "where" it can piss in the house.That is not what you want.Plus the pup being 5 months old means it is still a pup.Some dogs mature faster some slower.Your pup may be 5 months old but it could be 2 months old mentally.That does not mean the pup is dumb,retarded or any of those things we humans like to call the dogs  ;D

Yes a Rednone like any other dog can be hard headed.No it being a female doesn't make any difference.

You know what mamma did when it was time to correct the pup..she took it's scruff,skin over the backside of the neck,and gave a growl and a slight shake.All dogs do this.That is how I correct a pup..again I said PUP!

Now,when trying to house break a pup from pissing in the house...the term nreak doesn't mean break it or beat it till it's close to being broken.Don't get me wrong some dogs need a swat,not a kick or punch, to get them listening...not all do.

The times when a pup is most app to pee are, After play,after food,after sleep.

What I do is KEEP ON THE PUP!!!! Every 30 minutes I take the pup out..regardless of what is going on.I also take a handfull of feed.Once that pup gos...you praise the heck out of it giving it feed.Sometimes it may take 5 minutes sometimes it may take 20.You need to be ready to take as long as it takes.

Doing your part and getting the pup out after feed,play and sleep will help you keep on top of her bathroom times.

Also get her on a schedule of going out often.After a time or two catching the pup pee inside and you give it a NO! take it right outside...regardless that she allready pissed inside...take her out anyway

Also that whole "rub the dogs nose in it"....yeah trash can that idea also.I will not and do not think that crap works.Also poor feed makes the dogs kidneys work overtime.They can't work through all of the feed so alot of it turns into waste.A dog will pee alot more as some of the feed turns into waste that needs peed out.

I know its easier to beat the dog,have folks tell you the wrong way to do it...but I am here to tell you them folks ain't no dogman/woman....they ain't no way no how!!!!

The main thing your trying to establish is "where" the dog should pee and where the dog should not pee.By treating it and praising the heck out of it after it pees outside and telling it NO and moving it outside when it pees inside...thats just what your doing.Dogs will learn like that...Just ask Pavlov about his bell thing O0

Any more questions about your pup feel free to ask...A few guys here really know what they are talking about when it comes to dogs...they may not know much else but dogs they know!!

Got any pictures of her??? O0 O0 O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »
Hound breeds take a while longer to housebreak. It's just their nature.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mike in WV

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice Techno. I have only had Jack Russels before and they are very quick to learn.I was told it was a bad idea with the Redbone but I wanted her to bad since my wife layed claims on the others and I wanted one to spend time with me in the country, where I spend most of my time. She is starting to come along pretty good but was looking for some fresh ideas. I am sure I have a picture of her on the pc someplace and will post. Thanks in advance for the advice I am sure it will turn out very helpfull.
Give em the shaft }}=======}

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 05:54:11 AM »
Wow tech, good stuff right there. Listen to this man, he knows his dawgs.

My pitt would poop in the basement during thunderstorms. So last time she did it, i bopped her on the nose, not hard, but not playfully; then took her on a walk in the thunderstorm. It was hard getting her out the door but after we got past the driveway, she'd just act like she always does on a walk. She hadn't pooped in the basement since.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
Buy a crate and put her in it! We did that with our German Shepherd till he was too big for it and he never once peed or pooped in it. Something about they would go potty in there den.
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
Jenny isn't far off with the crate idea.Though not all dogs will abide by that "den" law.Techno used to pee in the crate.I think just in spite.I could put her in the crate for 10 minutes after watching her drain out...come back and she gave it the golden shower.

Two Bits poops in the crate if I leave her in it for too long.She doesn't like to be in it either.Spook still gets put in one when I leave and it is feed time.

Facebook Comments