November 19, 2017, 12:28:11 PM

Author Topic: I need some advice on training.  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Revilla_09

I need some advice on training.
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
Im a youth hunter and I have a 5 month old Walker and I can't seem to get her interested in a coon. We treed 3 nights in a row with my friends dog. My pup let loose on trail the first night and when we treed she jus circled the area and played. I was wondering if she would catch on if i kept huntin her and treeing. If anyone has any tips or advice I sure would appreciate it.

thanks.
"Hunt a true talker, hunt a Walker"

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: I need some advice on training.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »
have ya exposed her to a caged coon and when I say exposed I dont mean caught one and turned it loose in front of the dogs nose  let her see it and smell it  watch her reaction and if she gets excited encourage her
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:20:52 PM by plottdogg »
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Revilla_09

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
I did about a month ago and she just stared and smelled for a few seconds and jus lost interest. Do you ou think I should try it again and see how she does now?

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:57:42 AM »
You could try using a hide or tail and play with the pup.Keep the play short at first.Always stop when the pup is at it's peak of fun.Leave the pup wanting more rather than leaving it wore out.Lay a few easy drags and see what happens.

Offline Revilla_09

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
i have a hide. she just dont pay any attention at all to it. maybe she's just too young. i will keep trying tho.

turkeynutz

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
Need to find you a bud that has some good dogs after you get interrested in the hide, so she can run with. Thats what we did with our pups. She needs to be a lil older though. Good Luck! O0

Offline curdawgs1976

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
It has been my experience that most people especially hound men try to take a pup to early in life and start them a pup is just like a child just because it wants to doesn't mean it can are you sure your pup was running the track or was it barking trying to keep up with the other dogs if it were me i would let my pup get big enuff to keep up and by then her mind will be developed enuff to take to the training

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »
Let us know how your pups doing.Like curdawg said sometimes folks expect alot out of a young dog.Remember a dog doesn't hit full maturity untill 18-24 months.

Even then not all dogs make it.

Facebook Comments