December 14, 2017, 08:20:59 AM

Author Topic: Don't forget the weather  (Read 1018 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Don't forget the weather
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/66048?dp=windsdp

Tuesday will be a prime squirrel hunt day.  Gusts today and tomorow are blowing around 40mph so not too many squirrelies will be running around, but they'll be anxious to get out tuesday. Plus what little wind there is, will be coming from WNW which is perfect for the spot i'm goin. By the time I get to the NW border of the spot, just hop down into a creek ravine and i'm set to start back. Temps will be oh so lovely, won't get hot in a jacket and will be able to push through thorn brush easy.

Only thing, i gotta sight the pellet gun in the basement cause of all the wind, and that's not the most accurate representation of distance.  10 yards tops =/

Definitely post some pics up tuesday afternoon. Hopefully a wabbit comes around  :D
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Don't forget the weather
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
yeah but thats not gonna do me any good up here, we have a front working its way in..  i am thinking maybe wed. or thurs.
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
Last Saturday, Jan. 31, was the last day of our Iowa season.  :'( It was supposed to warm up to about 40 so it sounded like an ideal situation with the squirrel rut in full swing.

It was cold with 6-10" of snow and a pretty good wind clipping through the woods.

Finding a wind protected ravine is the trick that pays off when squirrel hunting. So, I did my old Indian sneak into the woods and stopped at a good looking log just a few yards into the trees just a few yards downhill from the top of the ravine.

About a half hour waiting produced a gray male squirrel that seemed more interested in running around in a treetop as if looking for female scent. He kept on the move, as gray squirrels are noted and cursed for doing.

As he hesitated to sniff a branch that afforded a shot squeezed through a small hole of the branches and brush, I centered the crosshairs on him and squeezed the 12 ounce trigger.

Number 1 dropped dead into about a foot of snow at the bottom of the ravine, dead before he dropped.

Number 2 happened along and the deed was repeated about an hour later.

That was it for the squirrels. The wind increased and not another squirrel showed.

Prior to the squirrels, 9 deer dinked around my sitting spot within easy rifle range. Watching the deer filled in the quiet waiting rather nicely.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
I think our season goes out at the end of this month. :wink:  The weather is supposed to be decent this coming weekend, so I may see if me and the boy can sneak out and try to bust a few. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »
Our season ends the 15th.The weather hasn't seemed to detour activity here.Even the 2 days below 5 produced a limit.About the only time I don't hunt is rain...though I like coon hunting in the rain the best  O0

Facebook Comments