November 23, 2017, 07:59:19 AM

Author Topic: "Cheap" Plinking Handguns  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: "Cheap" Plinking Handguns
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »
(Hope you Don't mind me posting a link to another site)

Nah, when it's something like that where someone can gain some info, it's a good thing. O0  Besides, about everyone on here already knows about rimfire central. ;D  They're great for knowledge, but don't have the "atmosphere" this place does. :wink:

Glad you like your new toy.  I love shooting a semi-auto, but unless it's a .22 you can't afford to shoot it very much.  I've got a S&W that the boy had a ball shooting. :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
...but don't have the "atmosphere" this place does. :wink:
Tru...Loves me this place! :D

Glad you like your new toy.  I love shooting a semi-auto, but unless it's a .22 you can't afford to shoot it very much.  I've got a S&W that the boy had a ball shooting. :D
Yea, I don't think the kid is ready to handle it just yet.  He's still getting used to the Red Ryder.  We were plinkin' some cans today and he was surprising me with how good he was!  Made me proud!  8)

I do love getting 500 rounds for 20 bucks though. O0  Much cheaper than the .223.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
Lol. I know it's cheaper. If you don't mind looks, the berretta(I think) neos is an amazing .22 plinker which looks like some sci-fi crud. It'll fling some lead, and fast too! I love shooting that little thing when I go to the range with my bud. It's very well made and reasonably priced.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 09:25:38 PM »
If you don't mind looks, the berretta(I think) neos is an amazing .22 plinker which looks like some sci-fi crud.
Haha yea it looks like some kinda phazer or something.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 11:37:30 PM »
Sooo...I got to shoot the p22 a bit.  I Ran 100 cci minimags through it without a problem.  Then I picked up a 525 round Federal value pack and the thing failed to feed almost every other round.  It's got to be the ammo, right? :-\

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
That's right. Sometimes you find one that will eat anything you feed it. Other times you find one like my Ruger Mark II that will not eat a single Remington Gold round but loves everything else. Still other times you have one that only likes a couple different brands. It's unfortunate, but a necessary evil.

I been looking at this one today.

It's a S&W 22A. For $250 it's not a bad deal. O0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:34:54 PM by Ks_Sniper »
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »
Rimfires are like that, with revolvers being REALLY bad about it.  The best thing to do is to get a bunch of different kinds and try them to see which ones your gun likes the best, both feeding and accuracy wise. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline goclimbarock007

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Anyone ever heard of "firestorm" brand? apparently, they're made in south america, but i was just curious if anyone had any experience with them.

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/products.htm

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:30 PM »
Anyone ever heard of "firestorm" brand? apparently, they're made in south america, but i was just curious if anyone had any experience with them.

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/products.htm

I did a search on them to find some comments.  From what I can gather, they're essentially a Bersa.  I have an older model Bersa .380 and it's a good gun.  Bersa has a decent reputation. O0

Some comments I found:

Are Firestorm guns any good?  I would appreciate any input.

** It probably depends on what model you're looking at. From my understanding, Firestorm is a combination of Llama and Bersa firearms. Bersa has a fairly respectable reputation whereas Llama's reputation is a bit tarnished. If you have a particular model you're looking at, you might want to specify which one has caught your eye.

** IIRC Firestorm guns are built in the U.S. from mostly, if not all, Bersa parts shipped in.

** I think they are pretty good guns for the money. I had a .380 Firestorm and never had any problems with it. It was a very comfortable gun to shoot and pretty accurate too. I didn't care for the take-down procedure but other than that it was good for $200.

** A friend has one of their 1911s.  For the price it's a great gun thereare someparts that don't interchange with 1911s and I hate their grips.  I can't speak for longevity because he hasn't had it long enough and doesn't shoot it enough to get a feel for that.  It's not a Colt but then it's not a Bryco either

** It depends. If you are looking at the 1911 style models they have a pretty bad reputation. If you are talking about the Mini Firestorm models then you are good to go. The Mini models are made by Bersa in Argentina and are good quality guns at a reasonable price. I have two Bersa 9mms that have been excellent.

** I have the 45 Firestorm compact model. It is the two tone model.
It shoots well, has never jammed, and is accurate. Actually the pistol is pretty well made.
I like the pistol.
The only draw back is that it is not based on the standard 45 frame. Most 1911 parts will fit it, but some will not. Like the grips, the standard 1911 grips will not fit. Even the grip screws are different.
When Llama went out last year, the DA only Firestorm 1911 style, went with them as they were made in the same factory.
That does not bother me. There are parts still available for them.
Mine was as new and I paid 225.00 for it.
I do not know where you can get anything close to it for the money. I like it!

** My daughter's boyfriend has a firestorm .45 sort of a 1911, but not a direct copy. The 1911 magazines work, though. I shot it. It was 100 percent with ball and 200 grain cast SWC and shot well which I can't say for at least one 1911 I had, an Auto Ordinance. I had an AMT hardballer that WOULD shoot the 200 grain SWC load, the Auto Ordinance was ball only. I had a 220 grain cast round nose handload it'd shoot, actually a Lee mold for a Ruger Old Army cap and ball. Got the hollow point version, too, that worked because the cavity isn't very big.  Anyway, for the price of that firestorm, it worked quite well I thought. I didn't try any hollow point in it, but I wouldn't carry it anyway for self defense, rather carry something lighter and DA.

** The FireStorm (Bersa) Minis I have (2-9, 1-.45) have performed very well. Only problem was with the .45 as I tended to get hammer bit by it. My Bersa Thunder9s (of which the FS Minis are based off of) have also performed very well.

** i love my bersa thunder .380. Very reliable shooter + very accurate (10-12 yd ranges). I trust it as a carry piece.  have fired the Mini Firestorm .45. Tack driver out to 15 yards. No problems w/ the 200 rds i put through her.

** A shooting buddy bought a Firestorm that looked like a 1911 copy. 1st time to the range, 1st mag full, the thing went full auto on him. He never took it to the range again...instead, he sold it!

** I have a FireStorm Mini 40 which is one of my favorite guns. It had a few FTFs during the first 100 rounds, but it has been perfect for the last 600 rounds since then. It has a very nice trigger, which is even better since I put a trapper spring kit in it. The fit and finish are not quite in the same class as a Sig, but it works great and it fits my hand better than any other handgun I have. My only complaints would be that there are not many aftermarket items for it and extra magazines are pricey. For some reason I am not aware of, they are only sold in the western half of the U.S. The 1911 type models sold by FireStorm were made by Llama who is no longer in business. They are no longer offered. They also sell Comanche revolvers. You can find more people familiar with the FireStorms on the forums at www.bersatalk.com.

** I had a Mini-Firestorm .45 that functioned flawlessly thru several thousand rounds. Only downside was the price of spare mags. $39 each and they were hard to find. Other than that, it was a great little gun for $300.

** I've had a Bersa Thunder 380 for the past 3 years, and haven't had an issue with it yet. In fact I like them so much that I just bought a Firestorm 22. Both are accurate, and digest everything I feed them. Whats not to like?

** I am considering the purchase of a new Bersa/Firestorm FS22. I keep reading great things about the Bersa Thunder line, but have no need of a larger caliber pistol, as I have more than enough of those already. I just want a accurate, reliable plinker which will double as maybe a snake/rat gun when I'm in the woods.. Any experience with this model or input would be greatly appreciated.

** Spend a few bucks more and get a Ruger 22/45.

** Thanks, but it's not the money, I just like the looks of the Firestorm FS 22. I've had Rugers in the past, and they are great firearms, but I'm just kinda dialed into this particular pistol.. Appreciate it tho!

** These look good and alot easier to take down than a 22/45. The other guns being made by Firestorm have a good reputation. My question is, when I looked on Davidson's site to see this model it is listed as being available in western states only. Why? Those west coast snobs don't think Yankees can appreciate a nice gun? What's up with that?

**According to the Firestorm website the U.S. is divided into 4 (more or less) quadrants. Apparently the ad you read somehow was associated with the distributer for that particular quadrant. I have a gun shop dealing with a wholesaler from this area (SE quadrant), and hopefully will be able to get me one. I'll keep ya updated.

** I got the Firestorm FS22 a couple of weeks ago, and it is a sweet little pistol. Over 750 rds. and nary a bobble. I paid $220 for it, and it's a real bargain. Reliable, very accurate, lifetime warranty... A couple of my friends shot it and now want one. The "available on the W. Coast only" was just referring to that "particular" wholesaler. I had no trouble getting one in 2 days after my favorite gun shop took the order. I like it so much I might buy another Bersa/Firestorm pistol before long. It's a keeper.. Check 'em out @ www.GunBlast.com, (archived articles Nov '04)

** Thanks for the update and review. I'm glad it's been such a good buy for you. Are you shooting high speed ammo? Will it shoot standard velocity ammo?
Keep enjoying it, sounds like a good gun at a good price.

** The www.GunBlast.com article said the FS22 in fact would NOT cycle perfectly with the standard velocity ammunition. Apparently the standard velocity stuff just isn't powerful enough. I have only used the Remington "gold bulltets" high velocity ammo that sells at Wally World for about $9.00 for 550rds. I did run some CCI mini-mags thru it, no problems. I do have some CCI Green Box standard velocity ammo I had for my old "High Quality" HighStandard target pistol which would ONLY function properly with that particular ammo. I'll give that a try next week, expecting problems. All of the new 22 ammo I've run thru the FS 22 has been 100% reliable. I did have some mis-fires with some old (10yrs or more) ammo. Guess I'll keep the standard velocity stuff for my 22 rifles. I seriously love this Firestorm pistol tho.. It is very, very sweet.

** I've got the model with the 6" barrel. It is highly accurate and functions flawlessly with Remington Yellow Jacket ammo. It does not
like the WalMart/Federal bulk ammo. I'll be glad to send pictures
for those that have are not familiar with the 6" model.

** While you are looking, if you haven't already spent your money. Take a look-see at the Browning Bench Mark series. From the basic BM Camper ($250 - $275) to the fancy shooters, the trigger, innards, and barrels are all the same. Excellent trigger out of the box, easy to modify all sorts of little things, replacement triggers, etc. I have two to go along with my Ruger Mark standard and Single six.
Great guns and a good feel. I know of several who went from the Ruger 22/45 to the BM. Enjoy what ever you get.       

** We have one. Every range trip it sees 500 or so rounds through it. Everyone loves to shoot it. I may buy another just so I get to shoot more.  It functions flawlessly with the 40g el cheapo ammo, but not 100% with the bargain basement 36g. Naturally, it loves any of the better grade ammo.  One big plus with the FireStorm: any experience gained with it translates well to the FireStorm or Bersa .380, the Walther .32 or .380, and the Makarov or FEG 9X18. They are all virtually identical in size, weight, and controls.  All in all, it is a heck of a lot of bang for your buck!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »
Finally some pics of the little guy:

So I was just wondering...It's typically bad to dry fire a rimfire gun, right?  Well what happens when my gun fails to feed cheap ammo so often?  Is it gonna mess it up the breech face?  Break the firing pin?  I haven't really shot that much cheap ammo out of it, maybe like 100-200 rounds, but it failed to feed pretty often. :-\
Also, does shooting shot out of a rifled barrel screw up the rifling?  It's probably not even worth it though...that .22 shot looks pretty puny.

Facebook Comments