November 21, 2017, 08:52:53 PM

Author Topic: "Cheap" Plinking Handguns  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: "Cheap" Plinking Handguns
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
So I was just wondering...It's typically bad to dry fire a rimfire gun, right? 

Yes, it is very bad to dry fire a rimfire! :shock:  With a centerfire, the firing pin doesn't hit anything.  With a rimfire, the firing pin slams into the breech face.  Not a good thing! :shock:

Well what happens when my gun fails to feed cheap ammo so often?  Is it gonna mess it up the breech face?  Break the firing pin?  I haven't really shot that much cheap ammo out of it, maybe like 100-200 rounds, but it failed to feed pretty often. :-\

Nah, the cheap ammo won't hurt it.  It's just a pain the butt clearing it all of the time. >:(

Also, does shooting shot out of a rifled barrel screw up the rifling?  It's probably not even worth it though...that .22 shot looks pretty puny.

Yes, the shot will mess up the rifling.  Don't matter if it's puny or not, it will still screw with it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
Nah, the cheap ammo won't hurt it.  It's just a pain the butt clearing it all of the time. >:( 
Isn't it essentially dry firing though?  It throws the spent casing but doesn't load another...and there's really no way to know if a round has been fed unless you stop to check every time.  Maybe it's not the ammo?  Unless the cheap ammo isn't creating enough energy to cycle it properly.  I dunno...

Yes, the shot will mess up the rifling.  Don't matter if it's puny or not, it will still screw with it.
Why do they even make that crap then?  Is there really smooth bore .22lr shotguns? ???

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Isn't it essentially dry firing though?  It throws the spent casing but doesn't load another...and there's really no way to know if a round has been fed unless you stop to check every time.  Maybe it's not the ammo?  Unless the cheap ammo isn't creating enough energy to cycle it properly.  I dunno...

Why do they even make that crap then?  Is there really smooth bore .22lr shotguns? ???

Yeah, if it's not putting one in the chamber, then I wouldn't shoot it any more. O0

As for the shot, why do they make half of the useless crap they do today?  But, yes, they do make .22 shotguns.  More specifically, I know they make .22 WMRF (Winchester Magnum Rim Fire) shotguns. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
Yes, .22 shotguns are made. Legally, I don't know, but it aint me telling you that a friend has a cousin who says a 7/32 drill bit is darn near .22''. No, I was at some random crime museum in N.C. and they had a display of home fashioned firearms in one room- It's amazing what you can do with a little bit of scrap, a lathe and redneck ingenuity!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »
Yes, .22 shotguns are made. Legally, I don't know, ................

Poor Tenderness.......... :roll:  I think it's pretty clear by the picture I posted above that they are, in fact, made legally. :roll: :roll: :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »
Yeah, if it's not putting one in the chamber, then I wouldn't shoot it any more. O0
Seriously?  Is it not the ammo?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
Seriously?  Is it not the ammo?

Sorry, forgot who I was talking to. :roll:  Don't shoot that type of ammo any more.  The gun, yes.  The ammo that doesn't feed, no. O0

;D ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
Sorry, forgot who I was talking to. :roll:  Don't shoot that type of ammo any more.  The gun, yes.  The ammo that doesn't feed, no. O0
lmao you sob!  Alright, just making sure...Thx. O0

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
Sorry B.C. that pic wasn't showing up last night.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
I took ma P22 out last weekend too and put about 250 rounds through it.  As I mentioned earlier, I was under the impression that it was very finicky with the ammo brands that it would take.  So I went out and bought a 100 round pack of the plated Winchester Super X in the plastic case, which cost over eight bucks!  That's more than a %30 increase from the last time I bought it several months ago!

As excepted, it fired all 100 rounds well with the exception of one stovepipe.

I also had some Winchester Wildcat and some Remington ThunderBolts, which I bought a while ago to test out but never got the chance.

I put almost 50 rounds of the Wildcat through it with 1 FtF and 100 rounds of the ThunderBolt through it without a hitch. ???

So maybe this gun just needed to get broken in a bit, with the good stuff, for it to start feeding correctly.  I'm happy that it will eat the ThunderBolts considering how much ammo has gone up.  That stuff is so dirty though. :shock:

Facebook Comments