October 23, 2017, 03:08:30 PM

Author Topic: Almost!  (Read 2945 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Almost!
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
My cousin and I were out in teh woods hunting squirrel today.  And as we were walking through the woods we happened to spot a little doe about 25 yards away in some thick brush.  I thought ahead and brought along some slugs for just such an occasion.  So I eject the bird shot out and pop 4 slugs in.  I got all lined up and took the shot and I could have sworn I hit it!  It jumped and kinda staggered forward a bit and stopped.  So I throw 3 more slugs at it ,trying to play the odds, and the thing never moved.  Then after a few minutes it trotted a few yards away and stopped again and was acting real weird.  It was turning it's head around and licking it's back and swaying a bit.  We watched it for several minutes, expecting it to fall, but instead it just ran away.  I looked all over and couldn't even find one spot of blood. :sad:

Epic fail.

That would've been my first deer ever.  I was so hungry too.  I'm teh suck. :'(

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Almost!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
It sounds like you hit that deer dude.  You need to get back out there and start looking for the deer in the direction it ran.  If you accidently hit it in the guts, there wouldn't have been any blood.  They can also go for a long way shot in the guts.  If they're not pushed though, they'll generally bed down and die in the bed.

Go back out there and look for the deer.  I wouldn't worry too much about looking for blood.  Look for the deer itself.  Look in the thick stuff also for it. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »
I agree, it sounds like it was paunch or gut shot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »
Aww...I was gonna try to go after it but i was already past the property line when I shot it.  And then not seeing blood deterred me also. :buck2 :sad:

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »
Aww...I was gonna try to go after it but i was already past the property line when I shot it.
On noes you guys prolly hate that, don't you?  Call it a rooky mistake...Wont happen again. O0

Self quote ftw.

turkeynutz

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »
That aint a rooky mistake, Not to sound harsh but thats being lazy on following up on your shot man! I had a guy I use to hunt with, if the deer didnt drop where he could see it, it was yote food! Doesnt hunt with me no more! O0

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:41:06 PM »
That aint a rooky mistake, Not to sound harsh but thats being lazy on following up on your shot man!
Nah, I scoured the area and didn't find a drop of blood or anything.  Had I seen any sign I would've followed that bass turd to the ends of the earth.  Call me crazy but I thought there would be something there if I hit it. ???

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
Nah, I scoured the area and didn't find a drop of blood or anything.  Had I seen any sign I would've followed that bass turd to the ends of the earth.  Call me crazy but I thought there would be something there if I hit it. ???

Not always.  There may be some hair, but if the wind is blowing any, it will scatter it.  You learn to watch the deer's reaction and go from there.

The last one that I shot at and missed was about 8 years or so ago.  I looked for that thing for about 4 hours before I finally accepted the reality that I had missed.  This was even after I found the broken twig that had deflected the bullet. >:(

The point is, if you take the shot, whether you connect or not, be prepared to look for the deer for as long as it takes to find it, or be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that you made a clean miss.  It's your responsibility as a hunter to do this, like it or not.

This is one of the reasons that 90+% of the shots that I take on deer now are neck shots.  I know if I connect, the deer will be laying right there.  If the deer isn't laying there, I know I missed. O0  This is with a gun only though.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 12:04:55 AM »
My last buck I shot at 45 yards with a 30 06 didnt drop a speck of blood. He ran bout 75 yards and balled up. And what was funny is his whole chest cav. was all jello.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:31:39 AM »
Tell me about it.  I've shot some that didn't lay anything down when runniing.  After you find them and start field dressing you wonder just how in the heck they were able to go as far as they did. :shock:

Most deer that are shot, even with a gun, are going to run.  They aren't going to drop on site.  It sometimes also takes a little while for the blood to start coming out and hitting the ground.  If you've got strictly a paunch shot, you're in for a long, tedious tracking job and wait. >:(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments