October 23, 2017, 04:48:45 PM

Author Topic: Almost!  (Read 2946 times)

turkeynutz

Re: Almost!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
I started thinken, scarey I know! ;D But all the deer I have shot with BlackPowder guns but one has done the same too! :shock:

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »
ok not to bust on you too bad, but you didnt spend nearly enough time looking for the deer.  look for all signs, not just blood and hair, look for tracks that dont look right, like he is dragging a hoof, or where he wobbled off the straight line like it was drunk..   even if it was an accidental shooting over the prop line get yer ass back out and find that thing. 
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »
Dude, I didn't know what to do.  I've never even hunted deer before, let alone shot one.  I've never had a father or anyone to teach me anything about hunting, firearms or the outdoors...Hell, that was maybe like the 10th time I've ever even fired a gun.  I'm just trying to figure things out as I go along.

turkeynutz

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »
Its alright bud, just busten your chops some. You will learn grasshoppa! ;D

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
deer can travel up 200 yards in as little as 7 seconds!  keep making those small circles and you might just find something to put you on the trail. O0
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 12:54:27 AM »
the 10th time ya ever fired a gun and yer already shootin at livin targets  ???  dang ya learn fast
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
the 10th time ya ever fired a gun and yer already shootin at livin targets  ???  dang ya learn fast
What's to learn?  Aim and shoot. ;D 
Well apparently I don't learn fast because I don't have a deer in my freezer. :-\

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 10:12:40 PM »
What's to learn? 
I dont know maybe where to shoot em at  dang I think we might have another tenderness on our hands  :twisted: ;D ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
I dont know maybe where to shoot em at  dang I think we might have another tenderness on our hands  :twisted: ;D ;D

I don't think he's as bad as Tenderness. :roll:  Green, yeah........ But unlike Tenderness, I believe there's hope for the boy. O0

Hey nOnAmE, did anyone ever tell you that slugs don't necessarily shoot where the bead is?  Especially when you're dealing with the old Foster type slugs (what people generally refer to as "pumpkin balls"), you really need to shoot them before hand to see where they're going to impact. O0  I've shot several deer with a shotgun slug.  All of them ran to some extent.  One, I hit right square behind the front shoulder and it actually didn't drop that much blood.  Generally though, with a slug, they'll leave a blood trail that even Tenderfoot could follow. ;D  That is, if you hit them in the heart/lungs. O0

Find a good shooting range somewhere around you, get a good little .22 L.R. and go to the range and start burning some powder.  If you can't find a range, get a decent pellet gun and a good pellet trap and start shooting in your house/apartment.

Here's a couple of links for the NBEF (National Bowhunter Education Foundation) and the IHEA (International Hunter Education Association).  Check them out and study some of the material they have on there.  You'll learn a lot about shot placement, vital areas, ethical shots, safety, etc.  There's also another link below for hunter education courses in the state of MI.  If you haven't been through one already, you need to. O0  You can also take your boy along with you.  He may be too young to get certified, but it's never too soon to start teaching him safety. :wink:

http://www.nbef.org/

http://www.ihea.com/

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10369_46346---,00.html

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/recnsearch/

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
Haha me like Tender?!  The ultimate insult! :wink:

did anyone ever tell you that slugs don't necessarily shoot where the bead is?  Especially when you're dealing with the old Foster type slugs (what people generally refer to as "pumpkin balls"), you really need to shoot them before hand to see where they're going to impact.
No no one has told me that but that was the first thing that I thought of afterward.  I definitely gotta pick some rounds up and try to get on paper.

Anyways I think I can aim alright.  I was shooting my AR well at 30 yards in the pitch black night.  I couldn't get it sighted though because I couldn't really see my sights. :-\  But I probably should have gotten a .22 rifle instead of that little handgun that I bought so I could get some practice in.  I hate that I bought all of these guns and I don't ever get to use them hardly.
Weren't you telling me that I can get a 10/22 for around $100?  Unfortunately, funds are going to be real tight for me for awhile. :sad:

Do you have to take hunters safety?  Or is it optional?  The thought of going to a class makes me want to puke.

Thanks for all of the info! O0

Facebook Comments