December 16, 2017, 09:27:34 PM

Author Topic: Almost!  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Women Gone Hunting

• The time has come...it's the women's turn!
Re: Almost!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
It does sound like you probably hit the deer, and we all do end up with deer that we don't find, even though not everyone will admit it, but the deer deserves your best effort at locating it and finishing the job if it wasn't your best shot.  Take this experience as a learning one, but next time, look harder, look longer and you'll probably come out of it with a harvest.
Women Gone Hunting
135 Carolyn trail
Gaston, Sc 29053
www.womengonehunting.com

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
It does sound like you probably hit the deer, and we all do end up with deer that we don't find, even though not everyone will admit it, but the deer deserves your best effort at locating it and finishing the job if it wasn't your best shot.  Take this experience as a learning one, but next time, look harder, look longer and you'll probably come out of it with a harvest.
Gotcha O0

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »
Take it from the resident expert on imperfect deer recovery situations... gut shots don't bleed, but usualy the deer will throw up a mess of stuff within 20 yards of where it was shot. Also, blood near a gun shot is usualy rare anyways. In fact the few times I've accompanied succesful gun harvests, there was no blood but a few yards from where the deer lay dead. Next time look for tracks also, and go dang across the property line, but leave your gun behind(in fl trespassing with a firearm=mucho fine/jail time). Most people(unless they're realy *****) won't mind you recovering a deer on their land-being weaponless also helps prove the point.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »
Do you have to take hunters safety?  Or is it optional?  The thought of going to a class makes me want to puke.

I'm guessing that you've been lucky so far this year.  :wink:  To quote the MI DNR site:
Hunter safety is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase any Michigan hunting license, or if you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.

I'm guessing that you're younger than I am, and I would be required to have it if I came up there. :wink:  If you bought your license, then someone screwed up by not checking for the certification before hand, with the way their site reads.  KY requires you to have the certification if "your hunting", but not to just buy the license.

The classes aren't bad and are pretty much standard from state to state.  I'm a hunter ed instructor here in KY.  I guarantee that you'll learn something in one. O0

As for buying the guns, never regret it!!!!!  :shock:  The .22 pistol is a good plinker, and a heck of a stress reliever. O0  There's nothing like going out and blasting the crap out of something after a bad day at work. ;D  The .223, you can look at it as an investment.  After Osama gets done, those rifles will be a thing of the past. >:(  The shotgun..........that was just a steal!  Anytime you're ready, I'll give you your money back on it. O0 ;D

The thing with shooting is not so much about "accuracy" as it is to ingrain the shooting into your brain and muscles.  Yes, accuracy is important, but being able to throw the gun up, your cheek hit the stock, and your align the sights all at the same time............ That doesn't come overnight.  That comes from shooting, and shooting a lot!  The most economical way to shoot is with a .22.  You can look around at pawn shops and find a decent .22 for $100 or less.  The Ruger 10/22 is just a fun little gun to shoot, as well as it's pretty accurate.  You don't have to have one of those specifically.  Any type of .22 in good condition will do.

It will just take you a little while to get everything ironed out and get all of the stuff you need.  Also, experience is the best teacher, but that doesn't mean that you have to learn everything the hard way. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
I'm guessing that you've been lucky so far this year.  If you bought your license, then someone screwed up by not checking for the certification before hand.
Oh...Err...Umm....Yea they must have just forgot to check for my cert when I got my license. :-\
I gotta go down to KY to take your class! :D

As for buying the guns, never regret it!!!!!  :shock:  The .22 pistol is a good plinker, and a heck of a stress reliever. O0  There's nothing like going out and blasting the crap out of something after a bad day at work. ;D  The .223, you can look at it as an investment.  After Osama gets done, those rifles will be a thing of the past. >:(  The shotgun..........that was just a steal!  Anytime you're ready, I'll give you your money back on it. O0 ;D
Haha...Yea I always have a horrible case of buyers remorse.  I hate it, but I can't help it.  I think I'm gonna hang on to the shotty though. :wink:

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
They don't offer online hunters safety? You may want to look into that and save yourself some hassle.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
They don't offer online hunters safety? You may want to look into that and save yourself some hassle.

Good Call!!  O0

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 06:36:47 AM »
ok i wasnt meaning my post to sound like i was repremanding you..  I was trying to point out you shoulda looked longer..  hunters safety courses well personally you should look into a class, most of the time its a two day thing, and it is worth the time!!  just getting out and listening first hand to other people and talking with them on the points of hunting is invaluable!   if you were compfy with your ability to aim and or shoot great, but remember it dont mater what you are shooting, the next firearm you pick up will be different in its placement..  tracking game  go to where you last seen the animal when you took the shot, if you know which way he went afterwards start doing a zig-zag pattern following looking for anything out of the odinary, from there if you dont find anything after a oh say 20-yard or so go back and start again from the shot point...

remember the biggest problem a hunter can face is the notorious "buck fever"  and no matter how experianced you are it will get you.. makes you do stupid things without realizing it,  unshooting a close deer, tree shots, chambering a round when you are already chambered, etc..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
i wasnt meaning my post to sound like i was repremanding you.. 
Oh np...I wasn't meaning my follow up post to be a sob-story.  Just trying to stress that I'm just a dumb kid. :D  Thanks for all of the advice! O0

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »
My old man is always telling me that I won't start to grow up until I hit my mid forties. Until then, I'm still just a "dumb kid." :roll:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments