November 22, 2017, 09:40:23 AM

Author Topic: .17 hmr  (Read 26523 times)

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
.17 hmr
« on: October 08, 2004, 08:34:35 PM »
Im looking to buy a .17 hmr and Im trying to decide between the c2 452  varmint and the savage 93r17-gv.I think I'll go with the savage because its so much cheaper and the specs are close to the varmint.Is the quality of the savage guns good?Are they accurate and sturdily built?
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

to late
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 06:28:43 PM »
got a marlin 917vl with a 22 inch heavy barrel and desert camo laminated stock and a blued barrel for $240 at a gun show!Also got a smith and wesson 500!
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
.17 hmr
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 09:13:37 PM »
You'll be happy with the Marlin.  I've got a Marlin 17VS (the model before the 917).  Mine is a tack-driver!  It's got a stainless satin finish, heavy barrel, and a laminated wood stock.  What you may want to do also (what I had to do to mine) is put a Rifle Basix trigger in it.  The trigger is about $70, but well worth it!  The factory trigger is just a tad heavy and has some creep to it.  I'm not sure about the trigger on the 917 though.

Congrats on the 500 also!  I've been wanting one myself.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 11:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the trigger.I think I'll get one from cabelas.Man ,I cant wait to see what kind of damage that 500 does!Got it for $725 never shot,from the same guy I got the marlin.I have seen probably 25 people on several forums type "I dont want to start an argument over this, but the .17 hmr......and every time they say that,there are 500 pages of arguing. Well here I go,I dont want to start an arguement ,but the uses of the hmr often seem to be nothing more than opinion.Im not saying that if you think  you can kill a moose with your 17 ,then take a trip to alaska and do it but,the reviews often seem highly hippacritical.For example,one guy will say the .17 is way to destructive on squirrels and rabbits,and then he'll turn around and say that shooting a fox or yote with it would be like going bear hunting with a .410!I am convinced that if you know the limits of this cartidge,what really matters in terms of killing effectiveness ,is shot placement.Im in virginia and long range here isnt long range to a guy in north dakota,but I think this is a very capable cartridge,just dont try elephants.Buy the way,I havent read any reviews on this site for the hmr,so if you said shooting a yote with the 17 is like bears with a  .410,I didnt get that from you.Let the arguing begin!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
.17 hmr
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 03:58:03 AM »
Dixie, I know the forum you are talking about. I would not be nervous about whacking a 'yote with my .17. There is some good stuff on that rimfire forum, and an occasional troll, too. Here, we are all one happy family. You are going to love your Marlin .17. I handled one at a Wallyworld and recommended it to one of my hunting buddies. He went to the store and bought it. Now, he's going crazy :twisted:  until he can get out there and kill some squirrels with his new rifle. He has been trapped in .22 land and has seen what my .17 does on squirrels. I usually let him shoot one once in a while, just so he wouldn't get too depressed. A .17 is not overkill. The .17 is humane for small game, actually. Even though you need to go for head shots, for obvious reasons. That's what we are supposed to be doing, anyhow, aren't we? Head shot :shock:  purists. Ain't life grand? :D  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DIXIEBANJO

head shots
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 07:03:51 PM »
I cant wait to shoot some squirrels with my new .17!Ive never really taken head shots on squirrels because Im usualy a shotgun guy when it comes to bushytails.I hunt with a 104 year old harrington and richardson single shot 20 gauge.Its a family heirloom and its in pristeen shape!Nothing facy,but I love it.I am definately going to be making headshots this year!By the way,Im a taxidermist,so if I wanted to mount a squirrel,were can I shoot it that causes the least damage?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
.17 hmr
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »
If you want to mount a squirrel, DON'T SHOOT IT WITH A .17 HMR!!!  I'd suggest taking the shotgun to get a squirrel to mount.  The hair will cover of the small holes from shotgun pellets, but you better be one heck of a taxidermist to patch up a .17 hole!

The .17 HMR is an awesome squirrel round, as well as other small game.  When you get up to coyote size critters, you're pushing the top as far as caliber/critter loads.  Shot placement really comes into play then.  I'm not saying that it isn't possible (I know a guy that is 100% for coyotes this year with a .17 HMR), but you really have to know what the caliber will do.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 11:43:04 PM »
Ill just stick to the shotgun on those squirrels I intend to mount.Actually I am one heck of a taxidermist ;I once streched out a whitetail cape so much,that the guy that shot it thought it was a giraff! :roll:  :lol:  :lol: Oh boy,Its getting late now :lol:

Offline DIXIEBANJO

.17 hmr
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 09:16:34 PM »
To get a replacement trigger,I have to know if my gun is pre 2004 or not.How do I find out?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
.17 hmr
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
It's in the serial number somewhere.  A gun shop should be able to tell you.  You may also be able to find out from Marlin's web site.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments