December 17, 2017, 06:24:56 PM

Author Topic: Montana FWP says NO to the shovel !!!  (Read 1424 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Montana FWP says NO to the shovel !!!
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
 :buck2
After my little" throw down" with the sand bar I got to thinking... Why do we need to carry a paddle in our boats? There absolutely good for nothing except you could burn it if you needed to cook some crow when your stuck out on that island.I could not find any were in the MT or the Federal regulations that "SAID" we had to have a paddle. What I found is it is recommended to have a paddle. OK I headed out to the FWP to find out. I want to replace my wooden peace of $hit paddle with a long handled spade shovel. I have a spot that the shovel would fit nicely but the paddle is there. The FWP did SAY I must carry a paddle and a shovel of any kind would NOT take it's place. HUMMM Thats dumb. You could use a shovel very nicely as a paddle and USE it as something other then a requirement filler.They did say If I found a manufacture that made a shovel and "MARKED" as a paddle it would then qualify as a paddle, HUMMM I wonder if a hand crafted ceder "Paddle" with a fiberglass handle and a Steel blade would qualify as a shovel ??? Is there a US coastguard listing on a paddle?? If not I'm going to get a decorative one 5" long hang it in the boat and fill my SPOT with a SHOVEL!!

-------------------------
The driver has to be the captain!
:uglystupid2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Montana FWP says NO to the shovel !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »
You could just put a shovel blade on the handle end of an oar or paddle and kill both birds with one stone.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
You could just put a shovel blade on the handle end of an oar or paddle and kill both birds with one stone.

That's what I was thinking also. O0  Remember D.........

K.I.S.S.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
 :'(
 A paddle handle is now were as strong as a shovel handle' I have broken many of them trying to ---well what a shovel does, dig and pry. In a boat you have X amount of room and careering capacity. I'm already got 200 feet of cable block and tackle, electric wench two anchors 200 feet of rope three BIG battery's and the list goes on ... I would like to have every thing but where I can cut down I like to try. This shovel has the same square inches of " Paddle as the paddle I have now.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

turkeynutz

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »
Looks like a good paddle to me bud! O0 ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:27 AM »
How about a little trench shovel?

You could also replace the paddle handle with a fiberglass rod or something like that, and leave the opposite end open so that you can insert the handle of the trench shovel into it. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »
I once convinced a warden that a wooden waterski was a "paddle." I don't know if he actually agreed with me, or just didn't want to sit in court all day and try to convince a judge that I couldn't paddle with it if the need arose. 8). If they insist on a dedicated paddle, D, do you have room in your glove box for a ping pong paddle. No one could tell you that you don't have a paddle on your boat. :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:29:34 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline D45/70

Re: Montana FWP says NO to the shovel !!! I won!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »
We won The FWP "Looked" again and decided the law did not list a paddle as required only "Recommended" !! NO Crappy paddle for me I'm putting TWO shovels in the boat !!! O0

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »
Now wait a minute.. You were complaining about the weight of having a shovel and a paddle, now you're going to replace the paddle with 2 shovels ?? Either  you got one heavy paddle or there's something screwy with your math  ;D
John Andrews is my hero !

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »
Oh come on MO. Let the man be excited for his win. ;D
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments