December 17, 2017, 07:02:38 AM

Author Topic: greetings & no luck today...what happened???  (Read 1789 times)

Offline fatcatnky

greetings & no luck today...what happened???
« on: October 10, 2004, 12:24:14 PM »
Hey guys!  I'm new to this board and a relatively new hunter.  I started about a year or two ago, with my birth father (i was adopted & found my natural parents).  I've been rabbit & squirrel hunting with him up in Muncie, Indiana.  I haven't been able to find any good spots here (or around) in Louisville, KY.  But I have a friend that lives in Scottsburg, IN, so I went up there today.  Not a squirrel to be found!!!  Saw a deer hunter up in a tree, and he said they were all over the place yesterday!  So what happened???  Any help with squirrel and/or rabbit hunting would be a BIG help!!  Thanks!
If you want it dead, shoot it in the head!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 07:34:47 PM »
What part of Louisville do you live in?  I live in Valley Station.  I went this morning in Marion County (about 80 miles south of Louisville).  Only saw 10, and of those, I only got 3. :cry:   I don't know what it was, but they just weren't moving this morning.  Last weekend, I hunted the same spot and saw about 25.  I think I need to clean my gun though.  I shot at 3 others and just flat missed  :shock:  (I know John, it's hard to believe  :wink: )!  One squirrel was about 30 yds away on the side of a tree with his head sticking out.  I had a good rest and slowly squeezed the trigger.  He left the tree and I thought I had gotten him, but when I went to pick him up, he wasn't there! #-o

Every one that I saw this morning was on the ground, so they've left the trees.  The only advice I can give you is to get in a spot where you can see the area around you pretty well and just sit tight!  Sit for 5-10 minutes or so and then move about 50 yds or so.  I walked some logging roads this morning really slow and covered quite a bit of ground (logging roads = no noise).  I probably would have done better if I had followed my own advice and just sat down for a little while. :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fatcatnky

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 11:30:30 PM »
Hey BigCal..I live in near Churchill Downs...I ended up going back later today, and got 2 squirrels..the 2 that I saw..there just wasn't anything moving today...so travel a little ways, huh?  I guess I can't say anything, since I would usually go up to Muncie.  I just wish I had closer places to hunt.  I just don't know many people who hunt in Louisville (kentucky for that matter).  but, I appreciate the response!  thanks!!
If you want it dead, shoot it in the head!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 02:38:03 AM »
Well, you fellas weren't the only ones that didn't see much. I was out Sunday morning and only saw 3. My buddy spooked a big fox squirrel that I was waiting for a clear shot on. I got a shot at one, and  his head got in the way of my bullet. :shock:  I love the ballistic tips! We gave it up about 11 AM and went and cut tall prarie grass for the duck blind. Nope, they just weren't out much Sunday here, either. Yep,your rifle must need cleaning, BC.! That sure doesn't sound like your grade of shooting.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 07:17:53 AM »
Hey fatcat, have you tried Taylorsville Lake WMA?  It's public land, but there's quite a bit of it.  From you, it should only take you about 30-45 minutes to get there.  I'd offer to take you down where I hunt, but the old man that owns the land doesn't want anyone hunting there except me and my brother.  Try knocking on some doors also.  Go out around Billtown Rd, Beuhla Church Rd, Smyrna, and New Cut Rd, outside the Snyder.  You should be able to find someone out around there that would be willing to let you hunt.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments