October 18, 2017, 01:53:49 AM

Author Topic: Mathews takes a new direction!  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Re: Mathews takes a new direction!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »
was it one of them titanium boyahs? I've been making my own spoons and spinners for about a year and a half now. I get them for practicaly free, and they work just how I want them...no compromising if it flutters a bit too much or falls to fast. Too bad I cannot make my own plastics yet.

turkeynutz

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
It was strike kings. Man you figure out the recipe, let in with you. I have tryed to myself and failed badly.lol

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »
Tender, you've got a lot to learn, not just about bows, but about hunting. O0

The bows now days are more expensive, and faster, but that doesn't make them any "better" than the older bows.  It's not necessarily the bow so much as it is the shooter. O0  When I was really into bow shooting, I could keep all of my arrows inside a pie plate at 75 yds.  50 yds was a piece of case. O0  100 yds was a little trickier, but my average was better than 50%.  All of this was with 2 and 3 different bows.  You give me a 20 yd target during a 3-D shoot and if someone had shot the target before me, they better hope they had a dark colored knock on their arrow, otherwise it was GONE! ;D

As far as what you said about the bow needing to be quiet on 50 yd shots..... :idiot2  Inside about 20 yds, you're in the deer's "personal space" and they react to noise quite a bit.  20-30 yds, not so much.  Beyond 30, the deer may hear the bow, but it's far enough away that they aren't going to react to it.  Don't believe me?  Do some research. :wink:  Now, that's not to say that you can go in the woods with a bow that sounds like you smacked a metal 55 gallon drum when it goes off, but the bows of 'yester-year' were not that bad.

A fast "target" bow is not a good "hunting" bow.  Sure, you can kill a deer with it, but will it stand up to the abuse that a hunting bow takes?  Same way with guns.  A good target gun is not necessarily a good hunting gun. O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »
Yeah, I understand that. I've seen a guy with a self-made hickory long bow slap the shaft of compound archer at 50 yards :shock:. It's skill, not equipment. But from an engineering and efficiency and platonic perfectionist view, these bows are getting "better" and more "perfect".

Good point about the long shots, though. I'd never realy accounted for those facts of deer behavior in considering such distances. I would still be carfeul with those shots and make sure the deer was 100% calm at the time of the shot.

It is easy to get caught up in the technological fast-lane, though. That's what compound shooting is all about, eh :wink:. Trads shoot to improve their skill, compounders run to sportsmans warehouse and buy the fanciest new doo-hicky for their beast.

turkeynutz

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
Seen the new PSE commercial and they caught Mathews! ;D ;D O0

Facebook Comments