November 18, 2017, 03:21:59 AM

Author Topic: Barrel lengths?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Barrel lengths?
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:18:08 AM »
I was just loaned a realy small little (I'm not sure, but it seems 20'') 870 to try for some woodland duck shooting.  I kind of like the feel of the gun and imagine it will perform well on fast swinging woodies in the woods. I am also interested to see if I can use the gun(who's stock fits me better) on 40 yard bufflehead on the bay. Supposedly my 28'' 870 should be better for those long shots. Do you guys usualy use longer barrels for longer shots, or stick with a standard length all year? Also, do you notice a difference in your shooting and enjoyment of shotgunning depending on the length. I always used to be an "if the stock fits" guy, but I like the feel of this shorty.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
Re: Barrel lengths?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »
well if ya like handlin short things...................

my 20 gauge has a 26" on it and the distance doesnt seem to make much differnce between that and the 12 which has a 22" on it. as long as I get the right choke in  nothin like hittin a pheasent at 5 yards with a full choke  :roll:
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

BBF

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
I got a coach gun meaning it is a side by side double with a 20 or 22" barrel. It shoots just fine when I use it which isn't very often because I don't do much shotgunning. As I understand it the longer barrel makes it easier to swing with flying targets. As far as range is concerned it it mostly choke and size of shot.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
Take some shotgun paper targets out and see how the gun patterns at different ranges. How it patterns depends on the barrel chokes, like the fellas have said. Short barrels doesn't necessarily mean it won't pattern well at given ranges.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
I wasn't refering to pattern spread, but just practicallity of long shots. I figure short fast ducks need short fast barrels, and long steady barrels will help you eye in and hold steady on the seemingly slow 50 yard ducks. I don't know if it's true, but I'd heard 30'' barrels are a favorite of high-shooting goose hunters.

Facebook Comments