December 15, 2017, 02:50:41 PM

Author Topic: Muzzleloading.....How About It???  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Muzzleloading.....How About It???
« on: October 12, 2003, 06:33:28 PM »
Our early muzzleloading season (2 days) is this coming weekend (10/18-19).  I can't wait to go!!!! :twisted:   I've seen a monster in my food plot, and he's been outside of bow range for a shot.  Hopefully, he'll show himself this coming Saturday morning and I'll get to make a big cloud of smoke!!!

What about the rest of you?  When is your muzzleloading season and do you hunt this period?  Let's hear it! :)  :D  :shock:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 09:44:22 PM »
Ours started yesterday and the way things look.... I'm going to miss it.   :cry:   Just too much stuff going on with my kids and their sports right now.    I guess I'll just have to make up for it during rifle season.  This has been a shortened season, for sure.  :(
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline propredator

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:18:13 PM »
I will be going late muzzle loader season this year,starts at around the 20th of Dec and runs into the 2nd week of Jan.It will most likely be colder than the dickens by then but i will have plenty of time to hunt in.
 I also use the smoke poles during the week long 2nd shot gun season in December.
 Be using my Knight on the open fields and my lyman gpr in the thick stuff. :D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 12:24:59 AM »
Well, lets have an update! How have you guys been doing with the smokepoles?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 01:08:18 AM »
I got to fire one shot this year and that was it.  One small doe during the early muzzleloading season.  Our late season came and went with me only getting to hunt one morning.  Didn't see a thing!

The KDFWR has really been managing the state well for trophy bucks, but that's about it!  They've had my county zoned so anyone can kill an unlimited number of does all season.  Because of it, the does have been killed down to nothing! :(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 10:52:43 AM »
Never got it out of the cabinet this year......  :cry:

Time to get ready for next year... right?!
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »
Gutpiles, yep, next year they are gonna get it!  Bigcal58, the hunters here didn't do that well the first part of the season, either. You can't do much about the weather, and that's mostly what it's all about for hunting. They did somewhat better the later part of the season, but running out of options. My federal (Army) work place has too many deer, and too many bucks per population. You can see several hundred deer in one field, and this is repeated throughout the installation The hunters killed less than 600 deer at our workplace, about half of what needed to be killed this year. 19,000 acres of deer heaven needs more hunting, so they are going to allow more new hunters in, starting next season. They will be taking applications this spring. I can post the info, if any of you folks are interested in hunting our installation. Come shoot some the the dang deer! :!: These Iowans can't seem to get the job done!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 04:52:25 PM »
Yeah, post the info when you get it.  What's required to hunt the installation?  Last year, with all of the terrorist stuff going on, they didn't have any hunts on Bluegrass Army Depot here in KY (that is where they store the chemical weapons).  This year, they opened it back up, but you had to get a background check done by the State Police and send it in with your application.  You also have to have a statewide license and deer tag prior to hunting.

What are the regs like there?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 05:51:25 PM »
Bigcal58, pretty much the same, except the paperwork goes to our local county law enforcement for the law check. Our place was closed down, too, for hunting and fishing, for 2 seasons. The herd then really got out of hand. With a couple of years of less than desired kill totals before 9/11. The surrounding area has a big influx in numbers, also. Kinda flooded with some of our excessive number of deer. I will get the paperwork for you when it comes up this spring, and you can look it over,if you wish. it is a good installation for any type of deer hunting, with the bow hunters doing really well. GREAT area for smokepoles, lots of timber and farm fields.  Heh heh heh, I'm cruising out among the critters  afternoon and night, 4 days per week. Well, trying to avoid running over them, anyhow.

Offline propredator

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 10:27:23 PM »
Well i did alright with the smokepoles,no bucks but 4 doe's.3 with the knight and 1 with the lyman roundballer.
 I havnt hunted the muntions plant but i hear its loaded with deer and John has confirmed it now. :D
 John just open the gate and chase em out,i wont tell no one if you dont. :)

Facebook Comments