October 19, 2017, 01:28:11 AM

Author Topic: Injuries To Bucks  (Read 14093 times)

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
Injuries To Bucks
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
The 10 point buck I killed this year during shotgun season did not show all of the signs of recent rutting behavior you would expect.  He was a decent sized 10 pointer (I'll include a pic.), and I would have expected his tarsel glands to be black and have that musky odor that you expect to smell this time of year.  However, it didn't look like he had been peeing on them as they were barely stained at all.  His neck was swollen, and he had some bark on the bases of his antlers, but didn't smell like he was still rutting.  There were a few smaller bucks killed around my camp that would stink up the whole woods, so bucks were still seeking does at the time.

Anyway, I'll get to the point.  The buck I killed had been injured.  It looked like he had been hit by a car sometime this season.  His left rear hoof was skinned up pretty bad, and the whole left leg was much smaller than the opposite side.  Most likely from being off of it for a while.  There's no telling how bad his injuries were in the beginning, but since he was up and around at the time I shot him I figured he would have been able to participate in the rut. 

So here's the question.....

How severe of an injury does it take to knock a buck out of the rut? 
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

turkeynutz

Re: Injuries To Bucks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »
Snaggen his nuts on a fence would be a quick way. ;D

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »
Yeah, I guess that would do it!!! 

turkeynutz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
I had 53 acres I hunted for over 15 years. It ran along the turnpike between Tulsa and OKC. And bout every other deer I shot had some sort of injury, like broke legs, hips, even backs messed up. And yep, a few nut jobs. ;D ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »
Don't really know how much it would take for them not to rut.  One thing that I do know though is that some bucks just really aren't "in" to the rut.  Yeah, they'll breed if given a chance, but some are just indifferent to it.  It makes sense though, that even though they're animals, they have personalities.  If you look enough, you'll see people in todays society like that.  Maybe that was what was up with your deer pike. ???

Other than that, I would say that if he were a "normal" buck, he would dang near have to be on his death bed before not trying to participate. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Yeah, you can bet that if I only had a couple of months out of the year that I was able to mingle with the opposite sex I would have to be dead not to be out there chasing it around!  :D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I see deer and hear of other deer that recover from some serious injuries. Like BC says, some deer are not into the rut as much as others. I would imagine a lot of injuries would have some influence on their sex lives.

A serious hunting pal of mine arrowed and killed a big buck this year and found his old broadhead buried in the deer when he arrowed the same buck last year. Last year he hit the buck too high.

The buck had to be pretty tough because most injured deer are quickly finished off and devoured by the large coyote and eagle population we have here. It's common to see coyotes and several eagles feeding on deer carcasses within easy sight of our roadways.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Carl77

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
I ran into this about four years ago. The previous year my dad shot this buck in the kidney with his bow and didn't kill it. The next year i dropped it with my twelve gauge. It was an eleven point but the rack was as skinny as ghandi :shock:......... that was my reasoning anyhow
Fred Bear Lights Out
70/30
31" Quick Strike Arrows
Carbon Express 100 gr. 3 Blades
Trophy Ridge Acc.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
Good reason for puting that deer out of its misery, Carl.  O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
I had a friend back in Okla. for a while, til he calls us out one eve to look at a buck he had shot. I have never seen one like it or sense either. This nice 10 point had been handed a butt whoopen big time. He had holes in his throat and chest area. When we went to gut him he had big pockets of pus inside his chest cavaty and stunk so bad it would gag a magget! :shock: The guy through him in a reveen and didnt check him in! Thats why I dont go round him cuz I found out he does that to most of his kills! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :tickedoff
Still killen and grillen!!!

Facebook Comments