October 21, 2017, 05:11:35 PM

Author Topic: cabelas .54 hawken  (Read 2421 times)

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
cabelas .54 hawken
« on: October 11, 2004, 01:18:56 AM »
I've been wanting to get one for three years,but just keep puting it off.I think this year I'll get the .54 percussion hawken that Cabelas sells.Anybody have any experience with it?
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:05:19 PM »
Honestly, if the rifles are legal in your area, get an in-line muzzleloader.  I've got a Knight MK-85 and I love it!!!!!  Unlike with a traditional muzzleloader, you can easily take the breech plug out of these and clean the ENTIRE barrel.  Also with the in-line, you've got the fire from the cap going straight into the powder charge.  With a side hammer muzzleloader, the fire from the cap has got to bend through the fire channel to get to the side of the powder charge.  With an in-line, since you ignite the back of the charge, you get a more efficient powder burn, and better ballistics.

I've got nothing really against side hammer muzzleloaders.  I've got a .58 cal (thus the handle.....Big58cal).  I've taken quite few deer with it also.  But as far a reliability and ease of use, get an in-line.

I recommend getting an in-line that shoots regular percussion caps instead of the 209 shotgun primers.  You get better ballistics with the shotgun primers, but quite a few states are starting to outlaw them (as well as in-lines in general).  Check your local regulations, and if they're legal, get an in-line! :twisted:   You won't be disappointed!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:44:22 AM »
I dont think I'll go with an inline,even though they really shoot well.I just like the traditional sidelock,kind of like the way I prefer a good side by side to a pump.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 10:09:29 PM »
Well, no one can say that I didn't try! :D   The .58 cal I've got is from Cabela's.  It's a really good rifle, the only bad thing about it is that it has a really slow twist to the barrel.  The only thing that I can shoot out of it (and get half-way decent groups) are round balls.  Try to find a rifle with a moderate to fast twist to the barrel (riflings in the barrel that is).  With a moderate twist, you can shoot buffalo bullets as well as round balls, and sometimes some of the sabbots with pistol bullets.  A fast twist is good for sabbots with pistol bullets.

With any muzzleloader, before you load it, pop a cap or two on it to make sure the fire channel is clear of any moisture or oil.  Aim the barrel at a leaf or some grass and pop the cap (no powder charge in the barrel).  If the object moves and the cap makes a "hollow" sound, then everything is good to go.  Also, don't take your rifle from someplace warm into someplace cool/cold.  The metal will sweat and get the powder wet.  When your rifle is cold is when it should be loaded, and kept that way.

If I drive down to where I hunt on the morning I'm going to hunt, I put my rifle in the back of the truck so that it stays cool (not in the cab of the truck with me).  If I've stayed in the cabin, I leave the gun outside the cabin in the case.  I pop a couple of caps on it and then load it.

Also, after you've cleaned the gun, run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel, and then follow up with 2-3 dry patches.  Lean the gun up in a corner, with the barrel pointed down and the nipple in a position that any moisture/oil in it will drain into the barrel.  Let is sit like this for at least a day, and then run a dry patch down the barrel to collect any moisture/oil that could have drained out of the nipple area.

If you haven't noticed already, PAY ATTENTION TO THE NIPPLE AREA OF THE GUN!!!!!!  Since this is where your fire is going to be coming from, you don't want anything in the way to stop it.

You should be happy with the Hawken from Cabela's.  I like mine!  But or course, I like my Knight even more! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:33:19 PM »
my taste tends to be extreme.17 hmr or a 300win mag;38 revolver or a 50 caliber smith and wesson revolver;Modern firearms or primitive firearms.I would like to try the inlines one day,but as for now,Ill stay on the more primitive side of black powder shooting.If I wanted pure reliability ,I could whip out the 30-06,but then it wouldnt be blackpowder would it.Thanks for the info on the cabelas hawken.What kind of groups do you get at 50 yards with your favorite load?I dont doubt the knight guns are real good,Im just kinda stuborn :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »
BC, you probably miss using your sidelock .58. You are right about the inline, though. I used to shoot squirrels with a .58 using the 500gr bullets. I had to shoot them in the head, for sure. That was back in the days when all we had was black powder. Shooting the squirrels with the .58 was like shooting them with 12 GA slugs, but the rifle was very accurate. It was a reproduction of the Zouave .58 Springfield.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Sixgun Symphony

cabelas .54 hawken
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 01:58:33 AM »
Traditional muzzle loading rifles and muskets can be very reliable, but you really gotta pay attention to detail.

First off, go with a quality firearm. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a good one, so is the Hawken rifle from Thompson/Center Arms. I don't know anything about the Cabella's rifle, but stay away from the junk guns produced by CVA.

You don't need to remove the breech plug for cleaning. Just use hot soapy water and all the fouling will come out.

Facebook Comments