November 20, 2017, 02:34:29 AM

Author Topic: best time??  (Read 2254 times)

Offline fatcatnky

best time??
« on: October 11, 2004, 02:28:38 PM »
I've been out 2 mornings in a row, & seen nothing.  Is there a better time of day (on average) to be out squirrel hunting?  It seems to me that mornings aren't good.  What's ur guy's opinions?
If you want it dead, shoot it in the head!

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
best time
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 05:54:16 PM »
I always see the most squirrels from about 9 am to 11 am,and then they are out heavy again from about 4pm to about a half hour till dark.They dont seem to be out REALLY early like most people think.They also arent active too much at dark.Thats just my experience.They are out all during the daylight hours, but what I listed is the "fillet mignon" of squirrel hunting times where I live.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
best time??
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:16:52 PM »
Around here in KY, the squirrels start right at daylight usually.  If it's cold (40 or below), they usually wait a little while after daylight to start moving.  Most of the time, they'll move really well between about daylight and 10-11 AM.  Then in the afternoon, they'll move about 3 hours before dark to when it's too dark to see about 30 yds.

Most of the time in the mornings, I'll hunt 2.5 - 3 hours.  In the afternoon, I'll usually only hunt about 2 hours.

With all of this being said, sometimes it just SUCKS to try hunting the little furry critters! :x   This past weekend was one of those times.  For some reason, they just weren't moving.  Don't give up and don't think you're doing anything wrong.  Sometimes the animals know more than us and just decide that they would rather sleep in or just lay around withouth moving much.  Keep it up!!!! :D   We need every able-bodied American to exterminate as many of these little furry buggers as possible!!! :twisted:  :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fatcatnky

best time??
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:59 PM »
thanks guys for ur help.  I saw 5 today, but could never get a clear shot...lol...oh well...hey bigcal, is that orange hunting card something i have to have here in KY, or is that just if i hunt public land??  Never was really clear on that.
If you want it dead, shoot it in the head!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
best time??
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:45:46 PM »
If you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1975, you have to have completed a hunter education course (and received the card) before you go hunting.  Doesn't matter if you're hunting on public or private land.  If you're bowhunting, and not in possesion of a firearm, a Bowhunter Education course completion card will work to complete the requirement.  A lot of the military reservations have more restrictive requirements for Hunter Education.  I think Ft. Knox goes back to '65 or '68 as far as your birth date and needing the card.

If you haven't completed the course (a course completion card from other states will also be honored in KY because of reciprocity agreements) in KY, visit the KDFWR web site for upcoming classes.  Below is a link to the page for upcoming classes and information.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigation.asp?cid=145&NavPath=C151
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
best time??
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:12 PM »
Sunday morning I only saw about 3 squirrels, and did the deed on one squirrel head. It was the only shot I got that day. We quit about 10 AM and didn't see another squirrel. I shot the squirrel about 9:30. Pretty lousy hunting day, but not all a total loss. Yep, those .17 HMR ballistic tips do a real number! :shock:  :twisted:  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
best time??
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »
Okay, John or BC.....  
when you shoot a squirrel in the head with a 17, ho much of the bullet stays together after "detonation"  is there anything that could be dangerous????

the reason I ask, is with my 22 I always have a backstop of some kind....

do you need one for a 17 or no???

Thanks you guys....

p.s. I would like to hear from any one, I just named those two because they are such 17 nuts, that I figured they would know....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
best time??
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:53:37 PM »
Yep, some of the bullet keeps on going. You need a backstop for our .17's, to be absolutely safe. Or, plenty of clearance downrange. You usually dont have the ricochets like you do with the .22, though. A .17 hits the ground and pretty well blows up. The ballistic tips seem to be more explosive than the hollow points, and are pretty well destroyed after hitting a squirrel head. The .17 is smaller and lighter than a .22 bullet, and faster. There is much less mass that exits a squirrel head with the .17. In fact, what is left of a .17 is pretty much very small fragements that aren't going far. A .22 bullet is pretty much intact after passing through a squirrel.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments