November 20, 2017, 06:08:52 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Turkey contest  (Read 4968 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Re: 2009 Turkey contest
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
If you get up in northern Kansas, you will run into several Law Dogs that hunt in those areas. Found out where we were, he hunted that property! >:( And we stayed on the feild the next morn. and called em away from them, got our double and headed home. ;D O0
Haha that's great! ;D ;D O0

turkeynutz

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
Is was. course they wernt. ;D ;D I love doing that though. We got peps in Okla. that think they are all that. So I pride myself on steelen their birds. O0 One day, had a guy call the warden on me for callen his birds over to my place and shooten em. If they come I will shoot! ;D ;D O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
OK nOnAmE, I did some checking for you.....

This link is for general turkey hunting info:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10958_10969-30338--,00.html

Here's a link to the Spring 2009 Turkey info.  You can open this up and then save it to your computer so that you can refer to it later if you have any questions.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/08SpringTurkey_print_219199_7.pdf

Now, here's the jist of it:

Choose One of These Optionsto Obtain Your Spring Turkey License
1. You may purchase a license for Hunt No. 234 (Guaranteed Hunt Period) between Jan.1 and Feb. 1, and the $4 application fee will not be charged. After Feb. 1, Hunt No. 234 is available to unsuccessful applicants only and cannot be purchased by those who did not apply.
2. OR you may apply for a limited-quota license for a specific spring turkey management unit (see charts below). It costs $4 to apply for the drawing.
3. OR you may wait to purchase a leftover limited-quota license after the drawing. Leftover licenses will be sold until the quota is met for each hunt unit and may not be available for some units.

It is unlawful to obtain or purchase more than one spring turkey hunting license.
Hunt No. 234 (Guaranteed Hunt Period)

HUNT NUMBER HUNT UNIT OPEN SEASON
0234 All Spring Units May 4-May 31
Hunt No. 234 (Guaranteed Hunt Period) is a statewide hunting license valid
for all open areas, except public lands in Unit ZZ (southern Lower Peninsula).
This license also is valid to hunt Fort Custer military lands with permission.
Hunters may purchase a license for Hunt No. 234 during the Jan. 1-Feb. 1
application period. No application fee will be charged.
All applicants who apply for Hunt No. 234 as their first or second choice
are guaranteed a hunting license.
The Hunt No. 234 license also may be purchased by applicants who are
unsuccessful in the drawing.
Note: Hunt No. 234 (Guaranteed Hunt Period) is not a limited-quota hunt

From what I've been able to gather, you have to apply for your license, even a guaranteed license, between X and X.  Your best bet would be to apply for one of the limited entry quota hunts that are in your area as your first choice, and then put down the 234 Hunt as your second choice.  This way, if you get drawn for one of the management area hunts, everything is good.  If you don't, you'll still have the 234 Hunt license to fall back on. O0

I think what it is, is that they want you to apply so that they can see how many people are going to be hunting, prior to the season.  Michigan, with as cold as it is, doesn't have the turkey numbers that areas to the south have.  Because of this, they try to keep tabs on the population a little more. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »
That was kinda simular to what Kansas was doing too.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
Aw sweet thx BC for looking that up and explaining it! :uglystupid2 I still didn't get what they were saying until you summed it up...I can always count on you. O0

Looks like I better apply soon!  Oh noes I forgot I still need to take hunters safety.  :sad:

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
All those rules are too complicated. Sc we are allowed 5 turkeys, GA and NC we are allowed to get 2 turkeys. No draw, it's that easy!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »
damn.....here in Wisconsin........first you have to apply for a tag........then you pick your choices for time of season to hunt.....THEN you have to pick a SECTION......and if your lucky you get a tag........then it's only ONE   :tickedoff
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

turkeynutz

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
They are tryen to turn turkey hunten into what they are doing on the deer seasons. In it for the dollar bills! >:(

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
  • Happiness is a large gutpile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:06 AM »
I hope to kill my first osceola gobbler this fall. I found a bunch of them out near Toosahatchie refuge down here
I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
Ok back on topic, it is only 6 weeks till youth day here and we need to get a plan for the contest together.

If we do teams, 2 people per team. Score the birds like the NWTF does with beard length, spur length, and weight. 2 bird scores allowed per team, highest total score when the 2 are added wins. But once you submit a bird, that is it if you kill a bigger one and your teams 2 birds are entered sorry. i think this was kind of how it was last year.

Either way count me and MissStrutter in, hopefully she won't miss this year!!! ;D ;D

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments