December 14, 2017, 05:54:55 PM

Author Topic: best .17 HMR ammo  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Skylar

best .17 HMR ammo
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
i couldn't find this anywhere so....

in your opinion, what is the best ammo for a .17 HMR? i have used the federal V Shok and they are pretty good. very good penetration but not much damage. in one side and out the other

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: best .17 HMR ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 05:57:06 PM »
Depends on the size critter you're going after and what your gun likes.  Rimfires are notorious for only liking 1 type of ammo.  You just have to figure out which one that is.

Mine likes the Hornady V-Max 17 grain. :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Depends on the size critter you're going after and what your gun likes.  Rimfires are notorious for only liking 1 type of ammo.  You just have to figure out which one that is.

Mine likes the Hornady V-Max 17 grain. :)
I second that. I use Hornady and the other brands of 17gr VMax and get the same (good) results.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Skylar

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
i bought some of the vmax. me and oppo08 are also trying out the CCI TNT hollow points

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
Try several different brands and bullet types, in both the 17 and 20 grain.  Find the one that prints the best in your rifle. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
The Hornaday Thermo-Nuclear round is a good choice! O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
The Hornaday Thermo-Nuclear round is a good choice! O0
  O0 That would be a good name for the VMax. My brother and I bought 3 1/2 bricks of Hornady 17gr VMax at a close-out sale, got them for $8 (and no tax!) per box. Brother bought one brick, I bought the other 2 1/2 bricks. I shared mine for the same price with my hunting pals, each buying half a brick and leaving me half a brick.

I wish I had held back at least a whole brick for myself, but one pal passed the word along and they all wanted in on it.  :roll: We bought the entire stock they had on hand.  :)

The Vmax has more penetration than given credit for. For larger game, they just don't completely blow up. They leave a decent amount of core to continue on and actually create a decent wound channel.

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
Skylar...if you have a marlin nothing shoots very good in thm.You might as well throw that stinky old gun out and buy a Savage...real shooters agree 9 out of 10 times  ;D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
Skylar...if you have a marlin nothing shoots very good in thm.You might as well throw that stinky old gun out and buy a Savage...real shooters agree 9 out of 10 times  ;D
  :twisted: Yeah, stinky Marlin! Shoulda got a Savage! Tech, is BC taking the bait yet?  ;D
The Federal VMax shoots great in my Savage and is usually a bit cheaper at the stores. Wallyworld usually carries the Federal ammo and is about the cheapest priced in town.

Facebook Comments