November 22, 2017, 04:17:39 AM

Author Topic: Itís Official: Elk is New World Record  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Itís Official: Elk is New World Record
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
I received this in email, so I don't know if it's legitimate or not.  If it is, it's a heck of a bull! :shock:

Itís Official: Elk is New World Record

The Boone and Crockett Club has confirmed that a Utah bull taken by a hunter on public land in 2008 is indeed a new world record.

A special judges panel determined a final score of 478-5/8 B&C nontypical points, an incredible 93-plus inches above the Boone and Crockett minimum score of 385 for a nontypical American elk, and more than 13 inches larger than the previous worldís record.

It is the only elk on record with a gross score approaching the 500-inch mark, at 499-3/8. Official data dates back to 1830.

The giant bull has nine points on the left antler and 14 points on the right. The larger antler has a base circumference topping nine inches.

The Boone and Crockett scoring system rewards antler size and symmetry, but also recognizes imperfections with nontypical categories for most antlered game. The bullís final score of 478 5/8 inches includes an amazing 140 inches of abnormal points.

Denny Austad of Ammon, Idaho, killed the bull in the Monroe Mountain District in south-central Utah. He was hunting with a self-designed rifle and killed the bull on Sept. 30, 2008. He hunted for 13 days before connecting with the trophy, dubbed the Spider Bull for its unique antler configuration.

The previous world record for nontypical American elk was 465 2/8 points. That bull was found dead, frozen in Upper Arrow Lake, B.C., in 1994 and was entered into Boone and Crockett Club records by the provincial Ministry of Environment on behalf of the citizens of British Columbia.

For hunter-taken nontypical American elk, the previous top bull scored 450 6/8 B&C points, taken in 1998 in Apache County, Ariz., by Alan Hamberlin.

The Boone and Crockett Club also keeps records for Rooseveltís and Tule elk. Worldís records for these categories are substantially smaller than those for American elk.

Eldon Buckner, chairman of the clubís Records of North American Big Game committee, credited the tremendous management of habitat and wildlife by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and the Fishlake National Forest.

ďUtahís conservation professionals really deserve a pat on the back, as do the citizens of Utah for their support of their stateís wildlife programs,Ē says Buckner.

Across North America, modern conservation practices are allowing game populations to flourish, complete with an abundance of balanced age-class and mature, trophy animals. Over the past 30 years, qualifying Boone and Crockett records book entries for American elk have increased 193 percent from a total of 14 in 1977 to 41 in 2007.

Across all categories of native North American big game, the overall trend is even higher with 344 qualifiers in 1977 up to 1,151 in 2007 a 234-percent increase.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Itís Official: Elk is New World Record
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
WOW.....WHAT A BEAST
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
 :shock: WOW , holy crap on a cracker that thing is awesome!!!! O0
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

turkeynutz

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
Man that is a hoss! Is it me, or is the rack setten cross ways on his head?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
Man that is a hoss! Is it me, or is the rack setten cross ways on his head?

It's you. :idiot2  It's the angle of the picture. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »
Wow!!! :shock:  You'd have to get some heavy duty drywall anchors to put that head on yer wall! :crazy2

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »
That is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig elk!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
Was this rack ever confirmed?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:03:43 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline TK77

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
I just read about this in an issue of Peterson's Hunting magazine not long ago.

I remembered that picture from the article.

Has the whole story and more pics here..........

http://www.petersenshunting.com/content/forty-feet-bone/1

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
Was this rack ever confirmed?

Yep. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments