November 22, 2017, 08:26:55 PM

Author Topic: Finally Shooting!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Finally Shooting!
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
Well, after last years amazing early teal season and completely duck-less main season I have begun to drop ducks again. I've always managed to get on them and have very good shot opportunities, but until last weekend I just could not get the lead right. New years day I went on a nice quail hunt and shot a couple rounds of skeet. I don't know what it was about that day(maybe the pressure to perform with the money invested in the guided hunt?) but I broke 17 my first round and 18 my next. Nearly 5 times more than my average round. I also broke my first double! I got out in the feild after that impressive display and went on to miss about 5 birds after nailing my first 4 with 4 shots and finishing the day with 80% hits to total about 10 tastey little cricket eaters. That is more birds than I had harvested any other season in my life! The next time I went out to the duck waters(which have been just unreal for woodies-entire clouds of them! I once saw easily 500 rise out of this one private swamp while fishing a nearby pond)  we saw plenty of woodies about 70 yards off and couldn't get to them through the floating grass mats. But some did come within 40 yards, which I promptly proceeded to drop. 3 woodies between 40 and 20 yards was my limit that morning. As we picked up decoys I made sure to leave one round in the mag just in case any late flyers decided to get stupid. I made that round count when a greater scaup tried to fly into out spread at 10 yards. That is the first time any of us had ever seen a scaup, which was cool since they are so big to teal and wood duck hunters. Beautiful golden eyes with an iridescent green head and a white belly fat as a pig! I managed to get a couple more on wednesday and it seems that I have regained my shooting skill. If I can do it again on Saturday I will be thanking the Lord for this true miracle! I've heard reports of banded woodies this year-who knows? ;D

Offline Jenny

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
Re: Finally Shooting!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Very Cool, you need to post pics! I'm going duck hunting tomorrow! Can't wait!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Facebook Comments