November 20, 2017, 10:31:08 AM

Author Topic: Anyone getten excited yet?  (Read 3320 times)

turkeynutz

Anyone getten excited yet?
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
We are getten ready to refurbish our blinds and do a lil more scouten. I have been watchen some toms up here in Mo. But the good stuff is in Okla. and Kansas. I hope they wait for season to start this year. The last two years the hens been going to nest before season started.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Anyone getten excited yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »
I'm READY.......just bought a new turkey gun........Camo Mossberg 835 12 GA 3 1/2" with the thumb hole stock....can't wait to put the SMACK DOWN on a big old Tom  O0
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

turkeynutz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
Im thinken bout traden my 20g. back in for a 3 1/2" 12g. again. My shoulder the only thing holden me back.

Offline Jenny

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »
I'm READY.......just bought a new turkey gun........Camo Mossberg 835 12 GA 3 1/2" with the thumb hole stock....can't wait to put the SMACK DOWN on a big old Tom  O0

Nice gun Schink, we just bought that same gun for my son boone! Except it don't have the thumbhole. We are ready for turkey also!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
Ah, the Mossberg 835..... The gun that kills on both end. :shock: ;D

I hadn't really thought too much about turkey season yet.  I've still got a little time before I need to put the corn out. :wink: ;D ;D ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
geared up for some serious ice fishing this weekend... O0 spring turkey fever doesnt hit me till the snow melts...sometime around April........ :-\
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
yep......I know it kicks like a mule........but as long as it holds a pattern and reaches out there.......last year I borrowed one of my dad's guns it was an off brand name I can't even think of at the moment and I wasn't impressed with the pattern at 30 and 40 yards at all.......and wouldn't you know I had a big Tom hold up at 35 and finally had to TRY to take him but just knocked him sideways a little bit and got feathers......NO MORE.....I HOPE ANYWAYS
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
I've gotta head out to Missouri so TN can teach me how to get some turkeys!  I always see flocks of these things walking around randomly, like they own the place, and I wish I had my 12g at my side!

How come I always see special chokes, 10 gauges with thumb holes and whatnot, specifically for turkeys?  Is it just because they are bigger and harder to take down unless you have a super tight pattern, or something?
Mmmm...man, some turkeys sounds so good right about now.

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
I went out and got me one of them chair blinds today. Its perty cool. Didnt know they had in my size. ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »
I've gotta head out to Missouri so TN can teach me how to get some turkeys!

How come I always see special chokes, 10 gauges with thumb holes and whatnot, specifically for turkeys?  Is it just because they are bigger and harder to take down unless you have a super tight pattern, or something?

Man, you really are hard up if you're willing to let turkeynutz teach you. :shock: :idiot2 :idiot2

;D ;D ;D

As for the guns, you aim at a turkey's head and neck to kill them (with a shotgun).  The gun needs to throw a tight enough pattern that the shot holds together and you get a really dense pattern out at further distances.  Since shooting a turkey load is similar to shooting a rifle (small pattern = rifle bullet), a lot of manufacturers put rifle-type sights on the guns to allow for adjustment.  There isn't a whole lot of "adjustment" to a shotgun with just a bead on the end of the barrel. O0  Since a lot of people hunt in some pretty thick stuff, the barrels on turkey guns are a little shorter than normal to allow for the gun to be moved around a little easier.  Turkeys can see color (and rather good) so people think they've got to camoflage their guns, and the gun manufacturers capitalize on that.  It isn't necessary though.  The way I look at it, all a turkey is going to be seeing is the muzzle end of the barrel when I'm hunting. O0  Granted, the gun shouldn't be shiny, but it doesn't have to be camo.  As for the thumb-hole stocks and such, a turkey load kicks like a young mule! :shock:  You need to keep a good hold on the gun, and the thumb-hole stocks allow you to do this.

10 gauge guns are good for turkey hunting because they pack a lot of shot and a lot of powder.  The standard "turkey gun" though is just a 12 gauge shooting 3" shells.  They make 12 gauges that will handle 3 1/2" shells, which gets them up close to what a 10 gauge is.  Any way you go at it, turkey loads thump you right good! :shock: ;D O0 :idiot2

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments