November 24, 2017, 01:21:13 PM

Author Topic: Anyone getten excited yet?  (Read 3325 times)

turkeynutz

Re: Anyone getten excited yet?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »
And what ever you do, be sure your shooten shoulder is tight against the tree your leanen on. ;D :twisted: ;D :twisted: To feel the maximum force of your weapon! :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »
And what ever you do, be sure your shooten shoulder is tight against the tree your leanen on. ;D :twisted: ;D :twisted: To feel the maximum force of your weapon! :wink:
:shock:  :buck2 ;D All I have to do to collect a turkey is keep the windshield clean on my patrol vehicle.  ;D  :twisted: Actually, I don't hit them on purpose. There are so many in my patrol area and they are so dumb that they dart out of the ditch and pop up in front of my bumper.

Many deer in my area do the same thing and it has developed pretty good brake pedal reflexes. But, some turkeys get hit and other folks I work with clobber deer and lots of critters.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

turkeynutz

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »
 O0 O0
I seen a video on TV the other eve, this copper had a turkey chasen him around and back into his patrol car.Then the turkey attacked the car for a while. It was Funny to watch this guy runnen scared! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
O0 O0
I seen a video on TV the other eve, this copper had a turkey chasen him around and back into his patrol car.Then the turkey attacked the car for a while. It was Funny to watch this guy runnen scared! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I've seen that video too.  The copy I had though made a reference to it being on a military base in S.E. Iowa and if you'll notice, the guy looked like he was an American Indian. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »
Yeah, I've seen that video too.  The copy I had though made a reference to it being on a military base in S.E. Iowa and if you'll notice, the guy looked like he was an American Indian. O0
;D ;D ;D

Thx for explaining all of that stuff BC. O0
My gun is a 12 shooting 2-3/4" and my barrel has a modified choke.  It seems a full choke would be ideal but I don't think I can change the choke on my gun unless I get a new barrel.  Can a gun that takes 2-3/4 shoot 3" effectively by having one less capacity?  I don't see why that 1/4 on the length should mess anything up but I do suppose tolerances are pretty tight.

Not that I can hit one anyways, but do you think my gun will suffice?  I'm guessing I would probably have to get pretty close to take one down with my setup.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
Sorry to say man, but I wouldn't try turkey hunting with that gun if I were you. :'(  The main reason for it is the modified choke.  A turkey is a tough old bird.  You want as dense a pattern as you can get when you're hunting the buggers.  Not to say that you're gun won't  kill one, but I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

The difference between the 2 3/4" and the 3" is in the chamber on the barrel, not the reservoir/magazine.  You'll be risking your gun, as well as yourself, if you try to shoot 3" out of one that is chambered for only 2 3/4".  They make 2 3/4" turkey shells and I used to hunt with them before I got a gun that would handle the 3", so you theoretically could take your gun, if it wasn't for the choke.

Check around at some pawn shops and gun shops in your area, as well as GunBroker.com.  You should be able to find a gun on there that will accept screw-in choke tubes and accept 3" or 3 1/2" shells for a little of nothing. O0  You can never go wrong with a Remington 870 Express. O0  The things are dang near indestructible!!!!! :shock:

Here's one on GunBroker now.  Super nice looking gun and it's in Roseville, Michigan. O0
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121015997

Here's another link for just the 870's and barrels and such on there.  You'll have to sort through there and see what you can find. O0

Remington 870

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »
I was hoping you wouldn't say that about my gun. :'(

I actually had a used 870 express in my hands the other day at the local gun shop.  It was in great condition and everything but I was expecting it to be a little less than it was.  It was 275.  Well, I guess I should say that I was wishing it would be less considering the way guns hold value.

Really, though, I just can't afford anything with all that has been going on lately...It would make y'all sick to hear about it.
And I broke myself buying that digital camera for 130 and I shouldn't have even bought that. :-\

Offline DKA

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
Scouting a lot and getting Turkey Gun out for new Holographic Red Dot and ordering shells.
Squeeze The Trigger

turkeynutz

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »
I was hoping you wouldn't say that about my gun. :'(

I got a 20g. singleshot H&R with changable choke tubes last year for 140.00 brand new. I miked the full choke tube to a undertaker tube and it was exactly the same in dia. They had this gun with or without the thumbhole stock. I didnt like the thumbhole version so I got the reg. stock. I had a rem. 12g. singleshot before. And it was pose to be 3" mod. but it wound up being 3!/2" full..

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
  :roll: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Wasn't me! I wouldn't leave any alive  :twisted: ;D on the road to chase me around.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments