November 24, 2017, 10:00:19 AM

Author Topic: Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1699 times)

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 18, 2004, 11:41:10 PM »
I shot a squirrel with a friends 17hmr.I dont know why ,but I suddenly took a body shot instead of a head shot.I ve heard the 17 can be pretty destructive,this being my first 17hmr squirrel,I didnt know exactly what to expect.When I walked up to the squirrel,it looked fine.No craters,not much blood,looked about normal damage.Then I picked the friggin thing up!On the side that was laying the ground,the friggin guts was coming out!That must have been the weirdest thing Ive ever seen in my life.Im not making this up.Has that ever happened to anybody else?It was a very close 20 foot shot at a squirrel in the front yard.I think Ill be taking headshots from now on.Imagine that,you can have a partially gutted squirrel waiting for you when you use a 17!

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:25:09 PM »
gutshot with a 22 hollow point will do the same thing.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

april

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 04:11:36 AM »
So true. I remember once I shot one in the stomach, (and from the back) and it's guts were hanging in front of him. Was pretty messed up.  :?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 07:04:15 AM »
April, you experienced the "magic" of the .17 HMR! :D   That little ballistic tip bullet does a whole lot of damage for its size.  I don't like taking body shots on squirrels anymore because of it.  You can't even really take a neck shot because it screws up so much meat on the front legs.  Head shots are the only way to go! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 12:37:24 PM »
Quote from: Big58cal
April, you experienced the "magic" of the .17 HMR! :D   That little ballistic tip bullet does a whole lot of damage for its size.  I don't like taking body shots on squirrels anymore because of it.  You can't even really take a neck shot because it screws up so much meat on the front legs.  Head shots are the only way to go! :twisted:
Right on, BC! Yep, our little but powerful .17s really do a number! A couple I have shot this year were looking directly at me and I had to shoot them in the facial part of the head. The bullet just keeps on opening up everything as it continues on. I have opened up the chests and beyond because of shooting  lengthwise head shots.  BC is right about the neck shots, too. It tears up a lot of shoulder meat, and usually, the front legs will separate from the body when you skin the squirrel. One head shot I made last weekend hit the squirrel below and in front of the eye. The bullet exited the squirrel's mouth and actually didn't contact much, but the bullet shattered the squirrel's entire skull.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments