November 25, 2017, 02:47:28 AM

Author Topic: got one but crows got it  (Read 1471 times)

Offline southernnut

got one but crows got it
« on: October 23, 2004, 10:11:11 AM »
finally got my first  squirrel of the season shoot thru the neck was chaseing down the second one when i got back to my kill found 7 or 8 crows had already gotten  it  i was left with a few clumps of fur. think i will be doing some crow hunting soon sigh . most  that i have seen have been  on  ground . anyone know if squirrels prefer  pine or hard woods any info or advice would be helpfull thnks i live in richmond va  8)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
got one but crows got it
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 07:50:44 PM »
Congrats on the first kill!!!   Definitely focus on the hardwoods... and make sure those crows get some payback!!!  :twisted:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
got one but crows got it
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:09:27 AM »
Get a crow call and sit down beside a tree, fully camoflaged (gloves and face mask included).  Crows have some really good eye sight.

As Gutpiles said, concentrate on the hardwoods.  Pines have somewhat of a bitter taste, so squirrels usually wait to cut them.  Best thing to do this time of year (since the squirrels are on the ground), is to walk a little piece and then sit down and wait 10-15 minutes.  After that, move about 50-75 yds or so and do it again.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline eagleye

got one but crows got it
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
yeah certainly hardwood like oak they luv acorns and my grandpa always said if you kill a crow you can hang him and no more will come......worked for me
shoot first ask questions later

Facebook Comments