December 10, 2018, 12:05:25 PM

Author Topic: Question For Rifle Hunters  (Read 3125 times)

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
Question For Rifle Hunters
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
Yea I said Rifle! My Daddy taught me a long time ago the differance between a Rifle and a Gun!  :shock: :shock:
My question is... When taking a shot with a rifle, have you ever found the bullet inside the deer? My dad shot one this year with a 30-06 at 40 yards and when we cleaned the deer the bullet was lodged in the wall of the chest cavity on the other side. It did not hardly make a mark on the other side. I took a knife and cut it out. In the 30 plus years of hunting deer I have never had this happen. Is it common or just a bad round?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Question For Rifle Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
Yes, I have found bullets in deer and it's not a bad thing. It usually proves the deer asorbed the total shock of the bullet. Pass through actually proves less than perfect bullet shock asorbtion and other negative factors too long to go into here.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
I find the bullets in my deer sometimes also. I save them, I got a jar at home with my arrowheads and flints.
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
thanks guys and gals! I was wondering if it could of been bad ammo since the shot was only at 40 yds. I guess I don't hear about it a lot with the hunters I talk to around here because they do not work up the deer themselves. They just throw it in the truck and take it to the processors. To me, if you are not willing to skin it and work it up, then you should not hunt it. I'll get off the box now! LOL!  ;D ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »
All I've ever found was the jacket off of a .30-30 slug.  Everything else has been pass-through.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
Found a 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silver tip that looked like you just pulled it out of the brass in a deer I shot in 2007. The shot was straight down right between his shoulder blades. He dropped never even kicked. Got to skinning him and noticed a lump right where the white belly hair meets the brown side. Slit it open and it was my bullet with only the little polymer tip missing. I sure am glad it busted spine and did not do that on a broadside shot.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
I am NOT a fan of Ballistic tip bullets. I have seen too many deer that have been shot with them that are never recovered. To me 1 deer that is shot and not recovered is 1 to many! most that I have seen cleaned that were shot with them, the entry and exit wound were about the same size. I want a bullet that once it penetrates the hide it expanse and tears something up. go in the size of a pencil and come out the size of a softball. They do not travel very far at all.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
A complete pass through equals more bleeding, I am convinced.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »
I'm with ya' JA! The more to track them with the better!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
I'm with ya' JA! The more to track them with the better!

That's why I like to neck shoot the critters.  No need for tracking then. O0 :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments