December 12, 2018, 10:06:28 AM

Author Topic: Question For Rifle Hunters  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: Question For Rifle Hunters
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »
I'm with ya' JA! The more to track them with the better!
thats why I like to make then shed their antlers to
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
thats why I like to make then shed their antlers to
I thought you was shooting the antlers off to make the deer lighter so he could run faster, making it more sporting.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
I got to add my 2 1/2 cents to that.
First: Considering the shot was at 40 yards the bullet would expand a lot more violently then at 200 yards. The faster a bullet expands the less penetration( this is on a standard type bullets, not a partition).

Second: I like an exit wound. It tends to be bigger then the entrance, allows blood to exit and air to enter the chest cavity collapsing the lungs.

I dislike neck shots, the chance of wounding an animal is much greater then a lund/heart shot.

I had a look recently at the Provincial record book for deer/moose taken over the last number of years. There were a surprising number of pictures  that had tines broken of or holes in the antlers. Reading the articles it became apparent that a large number of hunters in his part of the woods do the neck shot stuff, hmmm, that would explain those shot-off tines and perforated antlers.

Third: Nosler BT's tend to be fragile in light for caliber weights. I don't know why the one mentioned just penciled through.

Fourth: Given my own situation where a 200 yard shot would be a very rare occurance, most being 50 yards or so, I use Round Nose bullets at mid to low velocity levels by preference.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:30:57 PM by BBF »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »
I agree, a big ol' slow bullet is often the best medicine for big critters.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
Reading the articles it became apparent that a large number of hunters in his part of the woods do the neck shot stuff, hmmm, that would explain those shot-off tines and perforated antlers.

How does a neck shot explain busted up antlers? ???  The majority of the deer that I've shot have been neck shots, and I have yet to hit an antler.  I'm also pretty sure that Plott and turkeynutz weren't trying for neck shots when they hit antlers.

Point is, I don't think you can draw any kind of conclusion from neck shot deer having more of a busted up rack just by a bunch of pictures. :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »
My shot wuz definetly not tryin fer the neck I wuz tryin fer between the eyes  The neck shots Ive tried resulted in dead deer with antlers still attached
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

BBF

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
That can't be all that hard to figger out. Necks are a lot closer to them horns then a lung shot would be, geeez :roll:

PS I know I am not going to convert you, my neighbor shoots deer with a 75 gr HP from his 25-06 in the neck,same stuff that he uses on yodel dogs.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
More likely than bullets hitting antlers, I believe that the reason that you're seeing more busted up racks is due to 2 main reasons.

1 - More animals getting entered than used to be.  In the "old days", grandpaw didn't care anything about the antlers.  He was after meat.  I wonder just how many record book racks are buried in barn lofts and sheds that people don't know about.  Whereas today, due to the internet, when someone shoots a big deer, within a few days it's known throught the world.  O0

2 - More F&W agencies are starting to get their buck/doe ratios more toward a 1:1 ratio.  This means more competition among bucks for the available does, which means that the bucks fight harder to prove their dominance.  Fighting busts up the antlers.  O0

I'm not so nieve to believe that people taking neck shots don't sometimes hit the antlers, just as someone just throwing lead at a deer may also hit antlers.  But to say that an increase in neck shots has led to an increase in the number of busted up racks being seen..................... Well show me some numbers and I might start to believe it. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »
If you shoot a squirrel in the head from the backside, the airgun pellet will almost always travel along the spine and lodge just underneath the skin where the ribs stop. Never have penetrated a squirrel skull with airgun. I take lung shots now.

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
  • Happiness is a large gutpile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
I shot a nice 8 point through both shoulders with a 180 grain 30.06 remington core lokt. The round was just under the skin on the far shoulder , it even knocked off all the hair in a circle about the size of a 50 cent peice. I noticed the bald spot on its far shoulder and when I skinned it a handful of crushed bone and my round fell out . It was perfectly mushroomed.

I often have bullets mushroom and roll off big gators heads . It usually knocks them out and just takes some skin off. But that is with a bangstick . It has lots of concussion but doesnt have the barrel length to have penetrating power
I am a dinosaur hunter

Facebook Comments