November 23, 2017, 03:35:19 PM

Author Topic: Can German Pointers retrieve?  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: Can German Pointers retrieve?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
Honky Tonk is a line of pointers that has a lot of NSTRA and the like champions  Here is one of my favorites Honky Tonk Icon owned one of the finest bird dog men I have been around
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:00 AM »
Honky Tonk is a line of pointers that has a lot of NSTRA and the like champions  Here is one of my favorites Honky Tonk Icon owned one of the finest bird dog men I have been around
Would happen to be AB?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
I think I may need to rephrase this post to "can GP's work as waterfowling retrievers"-which most of you implied they can. I know they are great with downed quail. They seem somehwat high strung for sitting in a blind most of the morning.

Those Honky Tonks are cool, but I bet they don't come cheap.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »
Would happen to be AB?
nope only in his wet dreams  :twisted: ;D ;D

Tenderness they would work it would take lots of patience and trainin but ya could get one to do that
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:07:48 AM »
My brother's German Shorthairs retrieve really great. He's hunted with them for many years.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »
nope only in his wet dreams  :twisted: ;D ;D

Tenderness they would work it would take lots of patience and trainin but ya could get one to do that

Or would it be easier to teach a lab/golden to point ;D?

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
Or would it be easier to teach a lab/golden to point ;D?
Get a pointing lab all the stuff ya want in a lab plus pointing bred into it  O0 as fer a golden  :uglystupid2 :uglystupid2 :idiot2

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »
Yeah, I haven't ever seen a pointing lab, though. I'd heard they are nominal pointers, or that the realy good ones are super expensive. Have you ever actualy worked with one?

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:34 AM »
worked with a few of them  One could put a lot of pointers to shame the rest were average. Bird dogs are one of them things that to get a rockstar ya gotta pay through the nose fer it but ya can pick up a 100 dollar puppy and put a lot of time into it and get a dog ya think is really good. Its all in the eye of the beholder. So dont go out and get a cheap pup then only spend half the time with it ya should and wonder why ya think this dog is good but people who know bird dogs think its a pos

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »
Yeah, time is an issue. I aint fully sure I'll put enough time into a dog during the off season to make it a wise or responsible undertaking on my part. During the hunting season that is all I am focused on and put everything else on the back burner...we'd be in the woods and swamps often and training in the yard when we weren't. But during fishing season, I just don't know how motivated I'd be, not to mention my huge backlog of tasks that were put off during the season.

Facebook Comments