November 24, 2017, 02:38:59 AM

Author Topic: Turkey Contest Rules??  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Turkey Contest Rules??
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
Well, since no one else has done it, I guess I might as well get it started so that we get everything ironed out before everyone's seasons start opening up.

So what do you all think the rules ought to be? ???

A couple of things we need to figure out is:

1 - How many birds to allow per person
2 - Who is going to be in it
3 - What categories do you all want (i.e. biggest tom, biggest typical, biggest non-typical, biggest jake, smallest tom, jake, longest beard, longest spurs, etc, etc, etc)
4 - Scoring system
5 - Scoring pictures? and how?
6 - Partners?  Individual?  3 person teams?
7 - Dates to start & end the contest

So how do you all want to do it?  If you all would, copy the stuff I've listed above, and paste it into your reply, answering each of the questions.  Also, add in how many birds you're allowed in your home state.  This will help us decide how many should be allowed per person. :wink:

My suggestions.....
1 - 2 per person
2 - Anyone who wants to except Tenderfoot. ;D
3 - Overall highest team score and highest scoring individual bird
4 - Score according to NWTF guidelines
5 - Score pictures similar to the deer, but give away more points and add in more things to score. :twisted:
6 - 2 person teams, but the teams should be chosen at random to give everyone an equal chance. O0
7 - Start April 1st, End May 31st

Here in KY you're allowed 2 bearded turkeys for the spring season.

So what do you all say?

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

Re: Turkey Contest Rules??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »
1 - How many birds to allow per person(2 per person will be good but Im going for 7-9)
2 - Who is going to be in it(all that turkey hunt)
3 - What categories do you all want ( (biggest jake & tom, longest beard, longest spurs, best tail fan and best jellyed head)
4 - Scoring system(Beard length, spur length and weight)(multi beards you count the longest not add the length of all for one score)
5 - Scoring pictures? and how?(clearity, detail, and presentation)
6 - Partners?  Individual?  (3 person teams)
7 - Dates to start & end the contest( April-1 thru May-31)2009 that is.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
All of that sounds good to me except the start date. My season starts on March 21 thru May 15th. We are allowed 3 gobblers. I don't care if we do 2 man or 3 man teams. Just draw for teams and lets go with it!

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
A couple of things we need to figure out is:

1 - How many birds to allow per person......2 per person
2 - Who is going to be in it........everyone that wants to enter
3 - What categories do you all want......beard length, spur length, jellyed head(good thinking TN), MOST BIRDS
4 - Scoring system, weight, beard length, spur length
5 - Scoring pictures? and how?....clarity and the best looking person, lol
6 - Partners?  Individual?  3 person teams?....partners or three per team
7 - Dates to start & end the contest.....march to may

Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:41 AM »
All of that sounds good to me except the start date. My season starts on March 21 thru May 15th. We are allowed 3 gobblers. I don't care if we do 2 man or 3 man teams. Just draw for teams and lets go with it!

That's why I'm asking the questions. O0  We'll try to get all of this stuff ironed out before everything starts. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
I think I'm going to sit this one out......Wisconsin is terrible for turkey season....
I had to apply for a zone and time period......got neither.......I did get a tag......but the time period I get to hunt...I get 5 days ONLY....And in that period.....Wednesday through Sunday........I'll be lucky to get up north for the weekend........so 2 days to hunt only......... sucks......... :tickedoff
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Schink, you need to move down here by us. O0

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
no kidding.......DNR NAZIS.......it bites.......I'm just getting into this turkey hunting......it's a blast but they have too many damn rules.....kinda like being married   :buck2
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
1 - 2 per person
2 - Anyone who wants to except Tenderfoot.
3 - Overall highest team score and highest scoring individual bird
4 - Score according to NWTF guidelinesKeep it simple TN had too many things to worry about scoring, side bets between members on longest beard, spurs, etc. are fine but keep the contest simple.
5 - Score pictures similar to the deer, but give away more points and add in more things to score. Weapon included, no tailgates.
6 - 2 person teams, but the teams should be chosen at random to give everyone an equal chance. Random is fine with me if my daughter does not want to play with ya'll ;D
7 - Start April 1st, End May 31st I think others beat me to it but some southern seasons start in March so maybe March 1st thru May

NC only allows 2 bearded birds per person so 2 per person in the contest is fair.
So count me and MissStrutter in!!! O0 O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

turkeynutz

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Hate to burst your bubble BS. But the NWTF scoring system is more complacated than mine.

Facebook Comments