December 14, 2017, 08:20:10 AM

Author Topic: Squirrel Calls?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Squirrel Calls?
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »
J-Bucks thread on turkey calling reminded me about this...

Well, I did actually do a search and there was 850 threads on squirrel calls but the latest one was from about 4 years ago...So I figured I would fire up a new topic and see if any of yall have had better success with the squirrel calls over the past few years.  From what I've read on most of the other threads, it really seems like it's hit and miss with the calls.

My buddy gave me one last year and I tried it out a few times and didn't really notice any response...other than from some little black bird.  But then again, I didn't know if I was doing it right or not.  Actually, I didn't even know that's what squirrels sound like. ???

So does anyone use these anymore?  Or are they a waste of time?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Squirrel Calls?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:59 PM »
Seems results are hit and miss for most folks, me included. First you need to know what a squirrel sounds like. Sorry I can't help ya there. I got bellows type by HS Strut, I think, (might be Hunter Specialties, There was an HS in there somewhere) And the pitch seemed off. After playing with it a while I found that if I covered the bell about half way with my thumb, the resulting pitch was much closer to what I hear in the woods and in the front yard when they get P'd at me coming out of the house. You still need to get the rythm down for the barks and such.  Tap it a few times on your leg about twice a second. Listen real good next time your in the woods and sneak in on anything that sounds similar. Once you find a squirrel barking pay attention to everything about his calls and barking. Then blow him away.
 Mine also has a distress call on it. It's a small port on the side that you're supposed to suck air thru. I found that shacking it vigorously while useing it gave it a kind of gurgling sound, much like squirrel struggleing for it's life. Combine that with some brush shaking or beating your hat in the brush and leaves and it takes on the scene of a squirrel being taken down by an owl or hawk.
 How well it works may well depend on how good your eyes are. Squirrels may stick the heads out to see what the fuss is about, but may not raise much of a fuss. That's what happened to me, I heard and saw nothing but the kid spotted 3 looking for the mayhem.
 Keep your eyes peeled, others have reported foxes, yotes and even bobcats come a runnin' to the dinner bell!
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
I've got one, but I don't much use it.  I just never can make myself use the thing and make that much noise.  I'd much rather just slip through the woods and be "silent death". O0

With the boy going with me this fall, maybe I should take the call though. ;D  With all of the noise that he's going to be making, we might as well make it sound like something is dying! ;D ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
Back when I killed em to eat, I used two half dollar coins to call em in. Sounds as good as those fancy barkers they sell. O0

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »
they work fairly well around here, but they have thier place to use them also, usually i use them for a "locator" type call and usually along with a small bush shaking to simulate the fight.. I use two different types, but they give the same tones,  to simulate a squirrel cutting (eating a nut) take a coin and scrape it across a spent shotgun shell, this will bring them out to see who is eating and why they dont have one..it takes practice with them, and not all sqirrels are receptive to a call also. usually get the younger ones to bark back..  a great practice for you is if you have a park to go to, and take the call, practice on the "domesticated" ones and see what thier reactions are..   we have a park here within 5 miles of the house thats just polluted with the things, and i can get them to come in close or to scatter like a horde of cats are coming through!!
when in doubt shoot twice

turkeynutz

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:19 AM »
You talken bout a park reminds me of a time when I was much younger. ;D I use to take my 15' frog gig with me to our local park and catch them tree rats youngens and put em in a bucket with a flip lid on it. ;D ;D Them frogs would bout beat em to death before I could get home with em. :twisted: ;D ;D

Offline Sniper81

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:01:28 AM »
get one of those squirrel whisltes use it at the start of the season use it with a stick that u beat on the ground supposed to sound like something has a baby pind down squirrels go nuts here in illinois with that call ;D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
Squirrels respond at times to the calls. I usually try a call when nothing seems to be happening in the woods.
One memorable day of hunting and calling was during early part of season when the squirrels quit for the morning and layed up. It was pretty warm and I decided to give my young squirrel in distress call a few tries. After a couple of calls, I spotted something running right at me through a large open area that was covered with alfalfa and weeds.

It turned out to be a big female feral cat that met my .17 HMR 17gr VMax bullet at about 100 yards distance.   :twisted: :knuppel2 :buck2 :)

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »
Heck yeah John. I love seeing a cat flop. O0 ;D ;D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Heck yeah John. I love seeing a cat flop. O0 ;D ;D
Me too! That one did a couple of fantastic high jumps and then ran towards a big ravine brushpile. She ran out of blood and her 9 lives before she got there.   :buck2 :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments