October 23, 2017, 03:09:44 PM

Author Topic: Tell me your story...  (Read 3314 times)

turkeynutz

Tell me your story...
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:01 AM »
Tell us about your first bow kill.
And dont leave out the funny stuff either. O0

My first kill was in my third year of bow hunting. I had missed so many deer in the first two seasons it was sad. And this season started out the same. So I switched from my recurve to a new Bear Whitetail II, I had got from Bow Hunters Wharehouse.
 I will never forget this one, My bud and I had spent all morning in stands. It was close to 11am when I got down and went to get him. As we were walking up this well travaled right-of-way, and starting to top the ridge, I looked to my right and there it was. I thought it was a doe at first. But later found out it was a nub. Anyway, I turned to my bud and said, am I seeing that right? He said, well shoot it. I drew back and put the arrow where I thought the kill zone was. And then I let er fly. I heard a crack and said I hit where I was aiming good. Now I shoot instinctive and still do. I have never blood trailed a deer, much less shot one before. I went over to where I saw it standing, and started looking for my arrow. Not even looking for blood. Then boom, I seen the blood, a wide trail of it. Going through the thickets and brush, we were high fiven and doing all the excited stuff you do. Anyway,I followed the trail right to the deer. Where I seen my arrow sticking about half way out its butt. I am serious, I put that shaft right up the side of its spine, just missing the bun hole! And carrying it out I had to go back to the spot I shot it from, and thats when I noticed that there was a large log laying right behind my shot. I was thinken it was the body. And theres more. About two weeks earlier we were in that same set up when my bud claimed he had shot at a deer and hit its ear. And guess what, he shoots a four blade broadhead and in this deers ear is a four blade cut. It wound up weighing 54lbs. with one inch nubs. My first deer ever with a bow.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Tell me your story...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »
Fist bow kill huh?

I saw the deer, shot it, tracked it, field dressed it, drug it out, and loaded it in the truck. O0 ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
Thats it?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
Thats it?

;D ;D

Actually, it was a warm October day, not too warm, but just the right kind of weather that you can wear a long sleeve shirt and not sweat while on the stand.  The leaves were just starting the turn turn the brilliant colors of fall, with the new colors brightly contrasting with the many colors of green still present on the trees.  There was a slight breeze blowing, down from the north-west, signaling the approaching storm.  I knew that with the storm on it's way, animals would be out feeding, attempting to fill their stomachs so that they wouldn't have to venture from the safety of their dens and beds the next day to fill their appetites.......................................... O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

turkeynutz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
Thats a lil better. ???

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
 I had just started bow hunting with a really old second hand compound bow. I had practiced with it all summer. After hunting hard all day for deer, I decided it was time to call it quits for the day and headed for the truck. I cut across the field and noticed a squirrel jumping up on a fallen tree at the edge of the field. He was hunched down and looking straight at me. I decided this was as good a time as any to test my newly developed and as yet unrefined range estimating skills. Because of his posture, all I had to aim at was his head. Pretty small target, but the only one I had. I settled the 20 yd pin on his head and that covered his whole head. I felt the nervousness start to overwhelm me and focused on breathing, nothing existed in my mind but that dot and the squirrel. I let loose the arrow and skewered the squirrel from snooper to pooper. What a rush !! next day, I was hard at it after bigger game !!
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »
That was a good one Mo! O0 Reminds me of my first bow kill on a turkey!( or what I thought was one.) ;D ;D Fall you know and the grass was dried out but still bout waist high. I was walken to thr truck and seen a white head pop up and down. I squatted real quick. As I seen it come up and down, guessen it was bout 20yards and closen. I stood straight up and drew my White Tail II back. And when the head apeared again boomie. I shishkabobbed its head. It was a Guennie! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:02:10 AM »
Second year bowhunting. During doe week. She walked up to within 15 yards 1 month after I'd gut shot a 4 yard doe(I've since seen this deer doing well). My arrow flew right to it's mark as she dropped none at the string snap. She ran into some bushes on her way out-this slowed her 20 second of breath holding sprint to about 20 yards. She dropped well within sight at the double lung shot. Medium sized florida doe. Snapped my arrow, because the tip of the head only partial came out the far side. She tasted mighty fine, but the amount of work it is to proccess a deer has seen me only wanting one doe and any possible trophy that might walk by per year. While I'm allowed to shoot near 300 deer a season, I just want 1 or 2.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
Ol' Sitting Bull and I were kids and were hunting rabbits when a big buffalo bull popped up over the top of the hill and........................................ .  :wink:  ;D

Actually, I was a kid with an old Ben Pearson 50# longbow.  My brother and I were hunting rabbits on the Mississippi River bluff, just a few yards from where I am sitting right now. When a big groundhog showed himself, he caught the arrow through his ribs. 
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »
How many had you missed before the g-hog? :wink:

Facebook Comments