December 15, 2017, 07:22:08 AM

Author Topic: was doing some reloading  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
was doing some reloading
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »
and found a few cases that looked like this..

any ideas what could have caused it?

when in doubt shoot twice

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
Re: was doing some reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
any ideas what could have caused it?
The firing pin? :twisted:

Seriously though, it's just supposed to be a dimple, right?  That's weird that it would puncture like that.  Cheap defective brass or something?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
A drill? ???

The only other thing that I can think of is that it may have been a cheap primer and was corrosive.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
Well I've heard that over charging can cause pierced primers, but after a google to confirm, and looking at the pics again, I gotta ask, are their even primers in those cases ?? The off center flash hole isn't that uncommon and I'd just write it off to a bad run of cases. Being Remington cases, I'm surprized they passed muster. Joe Average might use them for hunting, but a serious target shooter/reloader would throw them in the scrap to trade in for lead.
 As for what looks like a rough finish on the heads, I can only guess someone found the buried in the dirt, all corroded up and tried to revive them.
 a couple of them do look like the pockets are3 a bit eaten up, like BC said cheap primer, possible corrosive, possibly just just not cleaned before each reloading, maybe even an obstructed flash hole. Where did you come up with this brass? You don't seem the type to take such short cuts. Any chance somewhere along the line your brass got mixed with someone elses ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:08:02 AM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Morax

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:25:06 AM »
alright nuff bustin my arse there guys, sorry coulda went for a better photo, and to show exactly what i was meaning..

no there are no primers in the brass, its R-P brass  going from new to first reload now out of the tumbler and this is what i found, i was accually meaning the heavy circular mark going around the primer pocket, almost like the case was not seated in the rifle and when it went off it forced itself into the bolt face..  I highly highly doubt this was the cause but this is what it seems like.. 

and no mosparks I am a bit too anal retentive when it comes to the clean check reloading..  my looks aint much they are all i got, and i like my fingers where they are!!  if the brass looks even a bit out of normal i wont use it,  heck i even turned down brass from a friend cause i knew he was running hotter loads..

the origions of this brass was the "bulk" ammo from cabelas, had 75 gr vmaxs in it, shot them, cleaned the cases checked over tossed bad ones, reloaded with 42.3 grains H414 and tipped with a 75 gr. vmax.. tumbled them for about a 4 hours off and on at 1 hour hits, (go into garage flip switch, run for hour or so, shut off come back couple days later repeat).. and i was doing the pocket cleaning and inspection when i ran across them..

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »
Man, have you been taking photography lessons from turkeynutz?  ???

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Morax

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
Man, have you been taking photography lessons from turkeynutz?  ???

no, its a crappy picture but it still came through no little red x in a box for me  O0

I just aint figured how to get up close and personal with the camera yet

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »

I just aint figured how to get up close and personal with the camera yet

That may be a good thing.  That would probably be considered illegal in some states. :shock:

;D O0

BTW, I guess I need to send you that shell holder sometime, huh?  ;D  Keep forgetting about it.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
I can't see the pictures here at work, but if it's what I think it is, I've seen the circular indention pressed into brass by the extractor. I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

BBF

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
Is there the slightest possibilty those rings were allready on the ammo before you fired them? ???

Facebook Comments