November 19, 2017, 02:33:36 PM

Author Topic: .17 Mach 2  (Read 7817 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
.17 Mach 2
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:41:55 AM »
Well, for you folks thinking about converting a semi auto .22LR pistol or rifle to new .17 Mach2, here is some info you need to know. This comes from Bob White, a great gunsmith/builder and knife maker in the Knoxville, Ill. area. He is re-barreling Ruger semi auto .22LR pistols  to the .17 Mach 2. He is using good steel barrels and doing the chamber reaming job on them. What he found out was that the standard .22 bolt on a semi auto is too light. He has had to add weight to the bolts to get them to operate(cycle). If you want to make it easier, convert a .22 mag to either the HMR or the Mach 2. Standard .22 LR bolts will not handle it. He is using Schilien (not sure of the spelling) barrel stock. At 35 yards, shooting the mach 2 in a converted Ruger, the shots are all in the same hole. Bob prefers to build a new barrel on a pistol, rather than do the liner job. The liner job requires a much higher cost reamer. Also, Bob cronographed some .17 Mach 2 ammo, and he says it is only about 200 or 300 feet per second slower than the HMR.  This is much better than suggested factory figures for the Mach 2.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: .17 Mach 2
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 06:29:25 PM »
Well The local gander mtn had a sale on a marlin 17 hm2....  so of course I got it....  I'lll let you know how it performs compared to the hmr.....   
more to follow...
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 07:24:44 PM »
Congratulations of your new rifle, firekidd! Yes, please, let us know how the rifle performs with the .17M2! I have read nothing but good reviews about them. That rifle should be a blast to shoot, and a lot cheaper than your HMR. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 10:08:54 PM »
so i got a mach 2 instead of the hmr.my step dad bought one too. i got the laminated and he got the black with blued barrel. i`m so in love with this gun. if it was a woman i`d have sex with her everyday 6 times. i got the hornady and my step dad got some aguila(sp). those things wouldnt cycle in the gun. the bullet sat too low once the bolt sltarted to slide forward. good for a single shot but not this rifle. the hornady mach 2`s KICK ASS! i filled a soda can full of water and it was sexy LOL then my nieces rubber ducky then a water bottle full of water then 5 tomatos, 1 zuchinni, 1 birdhouse,1 salt shaker and a bottle of ketchup. my mom is out walking for relay of life and when she wakes up tomorrow to the mess i left she`s gonna  >:( :shock: :shock: :shock: i tried talking my step dad into shooting the globe finch feeder...can you guys imagine what that would look like   ;D i`m going out in the morning and hopefully i can post some pics tomorrow afternoon...these timber rats dont know whats coming  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:16:19 PM »
http://www.hornady.com/media/mach2comm.wmv

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »
After your mom gets home, you may be able to sit in the tub and warm your own bathwater :shock:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:25:58 AM »
hahahaha thankfully i live in my own home with my own key.it`s my step dad who got it  ;D

check the photo section.
i went out yesterday morning but it rained. i ended up trying to call a yote but no luck.this morn after work i went out and had a grey sneak up on me. i pulled the shot. a bit low. i got him in the arm and out the chest.i`m definately going to have to shoot more.anyone had issues with the bullets cycleing in the savage mach 2?? should i oil the action?? it seems a bit tight.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:19:10 AM »
 :sad: What? no head shots? :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 02:36:38 PM »
Tech, yep, it could be pretty dry from the factory, being new.

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »
So if the M2 is so close in speed to the HMR then what is the point of having both?  Isn't the Mach 2 a lot less expensive too?
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Facebook Comments