November 23, 2017, 08:37:25 PM

Author Topic: wat about squirrel trapping?  (Read 4159 times)

Offline eagleye

wat about squirrel trapping?
« on: November 03, 2004, 04:58:56 PM »
does any body out there trapp squirrels and wat do ya prefer box traps or wat i got trapps set but no luck im ready ta catch 1 :twisted:
shoot first ask questions later

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 09:22:05 PM »
I do lots of trapping.What kind of traps do you have set?What kind of sets are you making?[trail sets or baited sets]How much land do you have to trap on?I use 110 conibears for all squirrels trapping.I catch LOTS of squirrels with both baited sets and trail sets.I like finding a place in a fence where there is a hole from a broken board,set the 110 and put infront of the hole.Those squirrels use that hole a lot,so when they stick there mindless head through the hole,the conibear snaps,and your in business.I also like finding a squirrel active tree,and getting a 4x4 or even a 2x4 or fence post.I then attach a few coni's to the top of board,and bait them.Lay your 5'-10' board with set,bated traps agains the tree at an angle[not straight up]and ge ready to collect the squirrels.They always will choose an easy route to travel[over bridge,under bridge,hole in fence,top of fence,mowed path through tall grass and brush,ect,ect,ect.The same applies for most animals.This alone should give you some ideas on trap locations.I also like setting coni's at the very tip top of fences,where squirrels often scramble accross.You can also set them on trees.If you dont already have 110 coni's,I highly reccomend them.Inexpensive and very effective.You should go to snareshop.com,northwest trappers supply,or even ebay, and pick up a dozen 110 duke conibears for about $36.The duke conibears are less expensive then the BMI conibears.I used to use the BMI,but I tried the Dukes.Duke makes a very nice trap,dont let anybody tell you different.For less money than a BMI,you get a better trap than the BMI.Make sense?Of course not!Go with the Dukes.If you like box traps or can only use box traps,always put the bait behind the trip pan,and set the traps on stable ground so the squirrels cant dig under the trap and make the bait fall through.I love trapping and would love to help you out clarifying things.Trapping can be confusing to start out with,but once you get it,its second nature.Translation?Get a dozen 110 Duke conibears,and ask me more questions then.Sorry if there are a lot of mistakes in my post,I dont feel like proofreading my trapping handbook I just wrote.Good luck...the more questions you ask,the quicker you learn.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline eagleye

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 07:22:15 AM »
ive only got box trapps right now there set under oak trees with pecans in them they are diggin Around em but they cant get under ill defiantly get some of those conibears thanks alot that was a big help also wat was the exact name of those traps you were talkin about i went to that site but there are a bunch of traps

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 09:39:25 AM »
Pecans can be good box trap bait,especially when mixed with peanut butter.The name of the trap is a 110 conibear.The model I reccomend is made by Duke.Conibears are sometimes called body gripping traps,which is kida misleading because that is exactly what they arent suppost to do.When a conibear snaps,it grabs the neck and breaks it.A broken neck is a humane kill.If a coni grabs the body,the animal will not  die quite as quickly.They will 18 out of 20 times grab the head,which is good.When you go to snareshop.com,type in Duke 110 in the instant search area.It will then come up and you will see the normal,and the magnum 110's.Get the 110's that arent magnums.The magnums are very hard to stabillise[they fall over a lot and result in empty traps and no bait and a very mad trapper]Then get the dozen for $33.95.If you want to get some bait from there for your boxtraps,I would go with the "Nutcracker" bait for $6.Also, if you want a smooth setting trap and more catches,get a bag of logwood dye.There are only two brands of logwood dye on the site,and both are good.One brand of logwood dye sells for about $2.50,the other for about $5.I can run you through the instructions on trap dying and preperation when you get them.Its simple to do.One little tip with box traps,when you make a paste type bait,get a little piece of plywood that will fit in the back of the bottom of your trap,and put about a tablespoon of paste bait on the middle if the piece of plywood.That way,they cant make the bait fall through the wire by digging under the trap.Also try putting your paste bait on top a piece of lettuce or apple or the like for eye appeal.To make a good paste bait,just put some peanut butter,pecans,honey and things like that in a blender.If you add fruit and vegetables,you have to keep it in a fridge or youl end up having squirrel booze!!!Taste the bait a bit and make it a bit salty...not extremely...just a bit...more than barely,less than unpalatable.That salt atracts squirrels and helps the bait to keep a bit longer.If youve ever worked with dry wall,make the bait about the consistensy of "mud".If you havent worked with drywall,make it about the consitensy of thick grits.If you have never had grits......go get some.If you really have never had grits of worked with drywall,make it a bit thicker than mollasses.Basiclly,its too dry if it caint stick together or stick to things,and its too liquidy if runs through the tines of a fork.Good luck!lLike I said,the more questions the better,and also,if youve never had grits...go get some.......dont you dare get those instant ones!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline eagleye

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
thanks that really helps,was makin that bait for em u said and it dont taste half bad,but i am defiantly buyin 12 of them traps thanks 4 ur help :D

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 11:05:52 PM »
nope ,it dont taste bad at all.One of my friends made himself at home in the fridge on night.Thats fine with me....but he'll never do it again.He told me "this crunchy peanut crap is pretty good".I told him it was squirrel bait.Im not sure what creeped him out so bad about it being squirrel bait...but it sure did[he threw up all over himself]When I explaned it was just peanut butter and nuts,he felt really stupid.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 11:06:59 PM »
nope ,it dont taste bad at all.One of my friends made himself at home in the fridge on night.Thats fine with me....but he'll never do it again.He told me "this crunchy peanut crap is pretty good".I told him it was squirrel bait.Im not sure what creeped him out so bad about it being squirrel bait...but it sure did[he threw up all over himself]When I explaned it was just peanut butter and nuts,he felt really stupid.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 11:08:25 PM »
what the heck did I just do?I need to learn how to use this crazy computer :shock:  :oops:  :lol:  :oops:  :oops:

Offline Lopalong

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 03:50:33 PM »
LOL DB.  Reminds me of the time I took a friend and his son fishing.  I had mixed up my chum to cast net some sardines.  Jack mackeral and bread with a little saltwater thrown in.  I netted enough for the day and glanced over and the kid was eating my chum out of the bucket.  He said his mom cooked mackeral all the time.  I about lost it. :D  Having a hangover didn't help matters either. :D  :D  :D
Sometimes I wake up grumpy, sometimes I let her sleep in.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 05:25:34 PM »
lopalong,I think I would have lost it too!!!At least it wasnt catfish chum made by me.I like puting in lots of squirrel blood and liver in my kitty chum.I would have jumped out of the boat and swam away if he started eating catfish chum!! :lol:

Facebook Comments