November 20, 2017, 08:47:02 AM

Author Topic: wat about squirrel trapping?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline eagleye

wat about squirrel trapping?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 06:56:26 PM »
i ordered a dozen duke 110's they'll be here 11/11, also i caught a squirrel taday thanks dixiebanjo :)
shoot first ask questions later

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 12:05:26 AM »
you gonna be happy with those traps.....good choice!Congradulations on that squirrel.What did he taste like? :twisted:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline eagleye

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 12:47:06 PM »
delicious i ate him with grits :P

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »
I hope they werent instant! :lol:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline eagleye

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 05:59:55 PM »
i caught another tree rat taday, and they defiantly weren't instant :P

Offline eagleye

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 06:26:15 PM »
my long awaited traps are finally here,wat should i do,i mean where do i set em set em and every thang thanks......and o by tha way those little thangs hurt :shock:  :shock:  :!:  :!:

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 10:06:15 AM »
sorry it took me so long to reply.My compter wouldnt get on the internet for some reason :evil: .The first thing to do is let them rust for a few days.Just till that greasy stuff is off the traps and they are covered in light rust.They might be pre rusted for you.Arfer you rust them,get some sand paper ir steel wool and take of exess rust.Leave clearly visable layer or rust.DO NOT make the traps shiny.After you have smoothed them up with the paper or wool,dye them if you got dye.You could spray paint them flat black with similar results.If you have black walnut trees,put a mess of hulls in some water and boil the traps with the hulls and water,till the traps are deep brown or black.Each way works well,the dye is easier.And for sets,try those thing with the long boards that I desrcibed,and maybe a hole in a fence or on top a fence.Trees can be good places sometimes.Culverts and gutters will give squirrels also.In a culvert,depending on how big around it is,you may also catch coons,possums,and the other trail animals.(anything that can fit through the hole) There is some good info at Buckshotscamp.com.Go to the buckshots articles section.It may be hard to attach conibears to boards unless you use those handy screw-in conibear mounts.Im a cheapo,so I use nails.You have to nail the nails in at an angle so that they wont catch the trap jaws when they close.Nail them in so that when you look at them from one side,it looks like this  \  /.The tips of the nails wont be touching,unless you use long nails.Its best and easiest to use nails with good sized,flat heads.Those little pin heads dont work well.the space will between the two nails at the top need to be adjusted to the dog notch you use.I always use the middle notch.When you get a feel for this,you can set a trap,put the nails in your board or whatever,and then just twist the trap on.If its done right,the nails will hold the trap securely and let the jaws snap without getting in the way or delaying them.try 12 times and it will make sense.When your setting up traps,put the notch on the bar,instead of the the little notch in the trigger.That way,when your setting your traps,you dont have to worry about bumping that little wire and snapping your hand like Ive done so many times  :cry: Obviosly when your done setting the traps on boards and such,you put the dog notch onto the trigger when your ready to walk away.

Facebook Comments