October 23, 2017, 09:29:28 AM

Author Topic: It's In The Works!  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: It's In The Works!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »
I was wondering what are the advantages are of a recurve over compound in a crossbow.  Is Just less parts that could malfunction?  Does it affect the draw weight?

With a recurve crossbow like that, there's less moving parts, so it requires less maintenance and fewer things can go wrong with it.  It will also (so I'm told) give a more consistant shot.  Excalibur crossbows are the most accurate hunting crossbows on the market.  All of their bows have the recurve limbs, whereas the majority of the others are compound.  The recurve crossbows are also quieter than the compounds.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
That would also make for nice quiet hunting critters in your yard, BC.  :twisted: O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Oh ok I gotcha...makes sense.
I want one! :D

BBF

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
I've had a Barnett Panzer( 120 pound recurve prod) for years and never did a lot with it. Now that Nova Scotia made them legal to hunt with I might get busy with one.

BC. is there a gadget with the bow that lets you cock it or do you have to buy one of those things. With that draw weight you are going to get worn out quick without some mechanical help.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »

BC. is there a gadget with the bow that lets you cock it or do you have to buy one of those things. With that draw weight you are going to get worn out quick without some mechanical help.

The package I'm getting with the bow includes the scope, rings, base, quiver, quiver bracket, arrows, and a cocking aid.

The cocking aid is a rope cocker that works on a pulley system.  The middle of it slips over the end of the stock, two hooks slip on the string, and there's a handle on each end.  I don't know how much it will reduce the weight of this one when it's being cocked, but I've used others like this and they aren't bad.  I can also get one for this that fits over the end of the stock and has a crank.  Depending upon how hard it is to cock the thing, I may have to invest in that.

But when I'm hunting, I'll only need to cock it once. O0 :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
But when I'm hunting, I'll only need to cock it once.
That's what she said?

So, is firing a bolt out of the crossbow the only way to unload it?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
Well, if my engineering theory serves me right, The rope/pulley cocking assist should yeild about a 55 pound pull with each hand and about 32 inches of pull. Not too shabby for a fella your size.
 As for decocking/unloading it, the only way I know is to fire a bolt into the dirt or a target bail. You deffinately don't want to dry fire it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
Oh ok I gotcha...makes sense.
I want one! :D

Check your state regs.Here in Illinois only seniors can use them.Not even the  handicapped can use them here like in KY  ;D

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
Check your state regs.Here in Illinois only seniors can use them.Not even the  handicapped can use them here like in KY  ;D
;D ;D Ouch.

Yea it used to be only people with a disability could use one but they just changed it allowing everyone to use one...It was either this last season or the one before I think.

I don't understand why they would be restricted in the first place. ???

I would love to get one but until I get a job i should probably save my money for worthless things like food and electricity. >:(

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
As for decocking/unloading it, the only way I know is to fire a bolt into the dirt or a target bail. You deffinately don't want to dry fire it.

Don't shoot it into a 3D target...you'll never get the bolt out! I shot mine into the block target and still had a hard time getting it out
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Facebook Comments