October 23, 2017, 01:04:12 PM

Author Topic: It's In The Works!  (Read 2342 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: It's In The Works!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »
Jenny brings up a good point. I discharged one into a round bail and lost the bolt completely. A friend useing a Barnet Commando used a target in his backyard, that looked like a big pillow. It was filled with what looked like regular polyester batting. The bolts only penetrated about 4 inches and could be extracted with 2 fingers.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

BBF

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »
I got one of those rope pulley gizmos and if I remember correctly it is only one set of pulleys which would reduce the draw weight by half( approx.) I think you'll need the crank thing. That gizmo should also allow you to let the prod down in case you don't get a shot.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
That looks real sweet amigo! O0 O0

If I ever got into crossbows that would be the one I'd get. I know several guys who shoot them and think they're the greatest thing since peanut butter and sardines!! :wink: ;D

Crossbows were legalized here in Georgia a few years ago amidst the usual ballyhoo over the "crossbow gives an unfair advantage" garbage that the so called purist claimed. Funny thing about them purists though...They were ALL compound bow users!!

As you know I've been a recurve guy going on 10 years now and could care less what people use, but one night a few of these "great white hunters" really got under my skin. So I said I totally agreed with their position and that crossbows AND compound bows should be banned since they gave the user an unfair advantage.

Needless to say that when over like a lead ballon. They all said "well! that's different!!" Yea, I replied you're all a punch of wimps who need pully's and levers to shoot your bows since none of you could bench press a gerbil. But I bet you'd do something else with the gerbil! :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Man! did they get mad!! They threw a little tantrum. Rolled on the floor kicking and screaming. Their mothers had to come in and change their diapers and give them their pacifers to suck on, and then had to rock them to sleep and put them to bed.

Before the law was changed to allow crossbows, the anti-crossbow crowd all said that people who used crossbows would take shots that would not kill and only wound. Then in the next breath they said crossbows would result in too many deer being killed.

They said crossbow people would not practice and get proficient with their weapons and that it would lead to the demise of the free world and anarchy would reign supreme and satan would come up from the abyss and force us to listen to music by ABBA and Neil Sedaka for all eternity.

Didn't happen.

If the sport of hunting is destroyed it will be due to the idiots we hunt with who think their way is the only way.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »

If the sport of hunting is destroyed it will be due to the idiots we hunt with who think their way is the only way.

That's the truth right there! O0  I don't coon hunt with dogs, but you won't hear me saying it's bad and should be outlawed.  I don't go noodling (a.k.a. grabbing), but you won't hear me screaming that it should be outlawed (though I do think the people are a little "teched"  :idiot2 ).  I don't hunt with an Adl-Adl, but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with it.

The point is, just because I don't actually do any of those things, and don't completely understand the "draw" of them, doesn't mean that they should be outlawed or that I should be against them.

I've heard the same things you've heard Bohica about the crossbow, with the main one being that it's going to lead to the demise of hunting and totally decimate the populations. :roll:  What a bunch of idiots!!!  Here's a prime example.........  The KY Dept. of Fish & Wildlife tried to expand the crossbow opportunity and allow it during the entire archery season for deer.  The elite a**holes started whining and crying about it enough that they finally got a KY Legislator to listen and introduce a bill to outlaw it.  The KDFWR, not wanting the KY Legislator involved in making biological decisions, backed off the proposal and now they only allow it in part of the season (despite some severe gnashing of teeth on the part of the "purists" a.k.a. compound shooters).  One thing that DID stay was that crossbows are still allowed during the entire spring turkey season.

Yeah boy!  They crossbows are really decimating the turkey population....... :roll:  This spring, out of a total of 28,773 turkeys reported taken, crossbow shooters took a whopping 35 of those!  That's a gargantuan 0.12% of the overall harvest! :shock:  Vertical bows accounted for 277 birds (0.96%).

So anyway, that's enough of that.  The crossbow is pretty sweet.  I've only really taken it out and shot it just a few times.  The boy has got to shoot it more than I have.  O0  All I've got to say is that S.O.B. is FAST!!!  :shock:  I've got to get out and shoot it more and get the scope set on it, but the thing is really nice. O0  Below are a couple of pictures of it.  Since I took the pictures though, I've put one of the Flemish Fast Flight strings on it to increase the speed even more.  ;D O0

As for the cocking rope, it reduced the weight by 50%, so when I cock it, I'm pulling about 112 lbs. :shock:  Not too awfully bad, but toward the end of it (when it gets to the point of locking the string in), it's like a curl with weights. ;D  Your hands are up around your chest.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:14:26 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

BBF

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
Get the crank! ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 08:00:29 AM »
Get the crank! ;D

Crank!?!  We don't need no stinking CRANK!  ;D ;D :wink:

I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and shoot it some.  Was too busy yesterday, and will be today also.  Hopefully, I'll get enough stuff done around here that I can get out tomorrow.  O0

With the cocking rope, there's no way in the world that they boy can cock it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wink:  At least this way, I don't have to worry about him dry firing it.  :shock:  With the way the thing is set up now, it's cranking along at about 350 f.p.s.  O0  Good thing too, that thing is LOUD!  Gotta figure out what others have done to quiten them down a little before deer season gets here.  :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 09:06:14 AM »
I hear you on that, BC. Ya don't want the deer ducking the bolt.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments