December 13, 2017, 01:49:12 PM

Author Topic: couple a spring cats  (Read 1730 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: couple a spring cats
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
John I will have to try some wood boxes.I didn't know there was such thing as worm bedding.That I will have to look for as well. O0 O0

You're right about the moisture content.I mist the soil with a sprayer,just enough to turn the soil dark.
So far the worms have staye alive and the fish seem to like them too  ;D ;D
Normally, plastic is the wrong thing to keep the worms in for long term. They will die. Wallyworld and sporting goods stores carry worm bedding. The stores we sold worms to used peat moss.

Wood boxes seem to asorb some of moisture when there is too much moisture. We NEVER added water to the bedding. Also, water will settle on the bottom of plastic and styrofoam boxes and kill the worms.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »
Maybe I have been lucky to have the worms stay alive in the plastic.I got to thinking about it and with the amount of wood laying around I am going to make a "worm box" later.

I got the soil damp as I read you don't want the soil completely dry but being on the more dry side is alot better than soil being too wet.

I am going to get some bedding and get the woo boxs made up.Thanks for the info  O0

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »
yeah Tech, I pick my own crawlers too...I was just sayin the shrimp is cheap in reference to the worms....but I usually only use the crawlers for walleyes on spinner style crawler harnesses... but our walleye season doesnt open till Sat. May 2........
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
Hey would burying the wood box in the ground keep it cool enough through the summer?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Hey would burying the wood box in the ground keep it cool enough through the summer?
It should, as long as the crawlers can't get out and it's in the shade. Your basement is usually a good place to keep them, as well as an old frig.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments