November 18, 2017, 05:22:43 AM

Author Topic: beagle hunting question  (Read 2869 times)

Offline camobob88

beagle hunting question
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »
Im having a hard time getting my beagle to heal when shes in hot pursuit of an animal . a month ago she took off after a doe when we were running her out in the woods and we didnt see her for about 45 minuets . I finnaly got to the top of the 3 foot deep snow covered hill she so easily manuvered and she starts to come back over the top of the mountain and runs right past me to the car . same with rabbits just takes off I cant seem to get a shot off without risking her life , so its more like taking her to snuff bunnies and letting me watch .  Any ideas shes about 11 months old now, mostly an indoor dog due to the amount of snow we had this year. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Vegatarians make good jerky

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: beagle hunting question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
Sounds like you got one of plott's dogs. :evil: Wish I could help. :-\
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
Bigstrutter and Elwood are you guys to talk to about Beagles. I can tell you how to stop the deer running. Get an E-collar and the next time the dog runs a deer....buzz the dog and let it know your not going to accept that. I do coon houns the same way. I know some guys don't care for obidiance training but I will tell you it helps alot. My Spook dog is pretty well mannered and the time I spent with him worked in that helped in the field. No matter though you have to work with the dog every day. Once or twice a week isn't enough  O0

Offline camobob88

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »
Bought a collar about two weeks ago, put it on my leg and turned it up to three and let her rip havent had the heart to put it on the pup yet . But I guess its better than losing her in the woods to a lion or a kick to the head .

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
When you use it on the dog,make sure you start at the lowest setting workiong your way up untill you get a SLIGHT response. There is no need to fry the dog just because the collar can. You only want to get there attention. Granted some dogs are so hard headed that the highest setting some times isn't enough  ;D

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
Ya might also wanna make sure ya got the right length prongs on the collar And if even with the lobg ones on ya still gotta set it pretty high try shavin a patch of hair off where the prongs sit on the dogs neck Worked wonders on one of the cow dogs now I only get to set the thing on 2 to get a response which makes me wonder what 6 would do to him  ??? other then scramble his brains more then they already are
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »
These guys have the right idea. First thing you gotta do is break the dog off deer. You're extremely lucky to get the dog back after only a 45 minute run - and in the same zip code. As far as running rabbits too close, I'm not sure about this. I never endanger my dogs life when shooting, but I don't shoot on the jump either. If your beagle is bringing the rabbit back too hot to get a shot off, he is one extraordinary dog, and may not be suitable for a rabbit dog. Around here, all a dog like that would be good for would be to put a bunny in a hole. I personally have never seen a dog that can get through the brush faster than a rabbit, especially when scent trailing.
 As far as the dog healing when called, I don't know if I would worry much about that. A lot of your better dogs are impossible to call off a good hot race. After all, he's doing what he loves and has been trained to do. Same way with a lot of good tree dogs. The only way to get them off a tree, is to go get them. Most times, a dog running or treeing, can't hear you in the first place.   
  Now, a stubborn dog that just don't want to come when called, can be "persuaded" with a little electricity. Be sure to praise him and pet him when he gets there, and the unpleasant experience is gone. Also, try not to hit him if he is running or trailing rabbits, or else he may think that rabbits are "off limits" like deer. Be consistant. Praise him when he does well. Correct him when he doesn't.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
Ya might also wanna make sure ya got the right length prongs on the collar And if even with the lobg ones on ya still gotta set it pretty high try shavin a patch of hair off where the prongs sit on the dogs neck Worked wonders on one of the cow dogs now I only get to set the thing on 2 to get a response which makes me wonder what 6 would do to him  ??? other then scramble his brains more then they already are
Well heck, if 6 works good on the kids, it should work good on the dogs.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline camobob88

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »
the few rabbits she ran were pretty small and were easily within 10 yards of her when i felt they were in shooting range of me , i never thought of letting her run them for very long Im still new to this . Grace is a very small and fast dog, so far she has out run every dog we have met . Not bragging in any way just an observation . and as far as brush, our patch is mostly in a row and open field on either side . Im starting to understand what a beautiful animal the Beagle is almost machine like when it comes to getting her job done , which is why she wont heal in a chase . So far its been all my fault for the mistakes I thought she made . I have a new understanding and approach to my pup , thanks for all the insight.  -BOB- O0

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:06 AM »
When you're running baby rabbits, things change somewhat. They don't put off much scent, so it's hard for a dog to run them for very long. They don't have a very big range that they run in, so what little scent they do put out, gets tracked over and over until the beagle don't know which way he went. But, because their legs aren't very long yet, they are somewhat slow. If a dog catches a glimpse of him, it is often "lights out". That's why I try not to let my dogs run unattended this time of year. They bring a lot of juveniles home, plus I always wonder; how many did they eat and not bring home? I've even witnessed a couple of my older, wiser dogs backtracking a jumped doe rabbit to where she got up. They have learned that this is often where the nest is :'(.  To a hungry dog these tender morsels are like veal. Between the hawks and other predators, and the hay mowing, these babies have a hard life around here. I try not to add to their troubles.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:32:48 AM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments