October 23, 2017, 03:00:36 PM

Author Topic: How far will you go?---- for a one day hunt.  (Read 1398 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
How far will you go?---- for a one day hunt.
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
 :D :idiot2 :crazy2
The Hunting season begins!

I know I know!

It started last week but it was Easter and we stayed with the family . Bear season started the 15th and I had that day off but it was snowing,raining blowing and all around crappy. The bears are just starting to come out and they took the day off too. BUT, this weekend looks perfect !! 70* and light winds. We're going to try turkey in a different spot this year, about 300 miles south east of here. My boy has been doing some burning in the area for Monition sheep habitat and is seeing many flocks of turkey using the burnt area and the river for water. They had one tom fly in to there fire and BB-Q himself. Here is the problem, The kids are going in on Friday night but I work Saturday and my bud works till 6:00 pm Saturday.We will have to leave in the AM of Sunday. It is a 4 and 1/2 hour drive to the hunting spot and we need to "BE" "IN" the Field by shooting light witch is 6:00 AM. That makes it 1:30 AM leave time ,at least 12:00 wake up . Than we will hunt all day if needed and return after dark Sunday night.They will be burning early Monday morning and my Daughter-in-lay has to be at work at 7:30 AM Monday. Now we're talking HUNTING!!!

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: How far will you go?---- for a one day hunt.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
Man, you're  :idiot2 !  That's too far for me to drive for a 1 day hunt.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
I drove 6 hours to hunt fer 5 hours and spend the other 19 hours listenin to JAs lies uh i mean stories  ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
I would rive that far to coon,lion or hog hunt but not for no D___ turkey  ;D

Offline olsplittoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:30:30 AM »
I would do the same thing just for one hunt, I just cant get enough. I made the same kind of trip once over a broken fireing pin, just to turn around and do the same trip that same day over a broken ejection clip spring, but the birds did fall. Yes it was in the low 30s, but one good pintail or green head made it worth while. My hats off to ya! O0 O0 O0

P.S.

Ya need another rider? ;D ;D ;D ;D
PSE-passthru shot evertime

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
I drove 6 hours to hunt fer 5 hours and spend the other 19 hours listenin to JAs lies uh i mean stories  ;D
  :roll: :-X ;D Back in my younger days we would still be out there hunting and living off the land, rascal!
I would drive a couple of hours or so, tops, for a day of hunting nowdays.

Dang onery plott hasn't accumulated enough years to slow down, trust me. Rascal plott goes like a steam engine until he hits the wall. I used to, just not quite up to it now.
One of many things nice about hunting with plott is he's an easy target for sharp stick pokes.  :twisted: ;D Not to worry, he can hand them out pretty good himself.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
I have drove 12 hour round trip to get my Kansas birds in one day, 3 years in a roll. Wont do it now though. :-\

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »
I could see that for a deer or something big, but not for a turkey....good luck though!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »
What little hunting I've done, I've enjoyed immensely, but I don't think I'd drive more than an hour for a day hunt.

Offline olsplittoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:29:22 AM »
What little hunting I've done, I've enjoyed immensely, but I don't think I'd drive more than an hour for a day hunt.

Sorry nOn, you need to get off the tree rats and jump on a GOOD Turkey hunt, or some awesome Wing shooting, hog and dog, baying coon dogs, or get into some Whitetail action. I respect anyone that enjoys hunting of any kind, but can't understand folks that this type of outdoor action dosen't become a passion and an obsession. Perhaps it's because my Dad started me off at a young age, or that all of my extened fam would get together and do the opening day of dove season every year in N Texas (extened fam would be about 12 to 24 peeps). Not to jump on you, but the more you exspose yourself the greater the passion will become. Heck I've been hunting for about 37 of my 47 young years and just can't wait for September to roll around and the begining of the new hunting seasons to start.  Truth be none I'd throw rock's if they had a season for it. Good luck to you and all those out there that LOVE TO HUNT. O0 O0 O0
PSE-passthru shot evertime

Facebook Comments