October 17, 2017, 10:12:07 PM

Author Topic: How far will you go?---- for a one day hunt.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: How far will you go?---- for a one day hunt.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
We've been giving nOnAmE a "pass" for a while. O0  He's been learning and hasn't had anyone to show him.  He just recently got legal with his Hunter Education requirement, so I've got a feeling that he'll be doing more hunting/shooting this year. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »
Aw heck yea.  I'm definitely getting some deer this year and anything else that I can get a license for.  I just like squirrel hunting mainly because it seems like a great way to hone my skills and get some experience in.  And squirrels are everywhere and they don't seem too bright - perfect for a noob like me. O0

I just couldn't see myself driving several hours to do anything for a few hours, only to have to drive back home that same day.  I'm not knocking anyone who does that, and I understand why they may do that, but that's just not my idea of fun.

But, if I could make a trip out of it...I'd drive across the country to hunt.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 11:27:59 PM »
I once drove 2.5 hours for an afternoon quail shoot. Then 2.5 back. That's my record distance. I'd do 7 hours for an overnight hunt, if it was really promising.

Offline olsplittoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »
no prob nOn it jus takes awhile to get hooked :buck2, but once ya get on some exciting hunts it kinda like the first time you get finky stinger :shock: ;D ;D ;D ya just want to get some mo O0 O0. as i said earlier i'd  chunk rocks, or pull a sling shot. it jus dont matter I LOVE TO HUNT. shoot one time a bud and i hunted voles on the golf course with blow-darts, and shot flies on the porch with rubberbands and bent over staples, or even better we hunted each other outside the house with tater guns (man those things hurt, but what fun). think those days are long gone in todays world. but ya know what they say "Get Ya Some". And by the way I love to get me some tree rats too. O0 O0 O0
PSE-passthru shot evertime

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »
Shooting somebody with a tater gun would seem like a bad idea to me. If you shoot mine at a tree 40 yards away the tater will turn to rice-sized confetti. Not to mention it kicks a little harder than a 3.5'' turkey load. They can get pretty powerful if you angle the barrel inwards, so it cuts a chunk slightly bigger than the id of the barrel. :wink:

Offline olsplittoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »
Yep taters are good and hard :shock:, my refference was to a tater gun but we used two tennis ball cans and tennis balls. They didn't leave to bad a bruse if'n ya stayed back aways ;D ;D.
PSE-passthru shot evertime

turkeynutz

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
When I was younger, we used tail pipes for tator guns. ;D ;D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
I used to drive long drives to hunt, even all night and part , driving from KC, KS to Provo.

We rested a few hours and then started climbing the mountain, killed our 3 deer at just after 8AM and started dragging our deer back down the mountain. That was a long 3 days before we finished our marathon deer hunt.

After shooting some blue grouse and varmints, a few days later we drove all night to our pheasant hunting spot in Idaho, spending a relaxing week pheasant and varmint hunting.

Bear hunts in northern MN from SE Iowa were all night and longer driving to hunts. When I shot a large boar cinnimon and after field dressing, we drove straight through to home on that one, too. We iced down the covered bear in the bed of the pickup a few times and had to hurry because the weather had turned warm.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments