November 23, 2017, 07:48:04 AM

Author Topic: 45 minutes and....  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: 45 minutes and....
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »
I've eaten a few very large drum, and I'm fine...*twitch *twitch
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
I used to trammel net in the winter on the Mississippi River close to home here. Part of what we caught were perch (drum). Winter perch can't be beat for eating!

There was usually 5 or 6 of us doing the 3 or 4 drifts with two boats and sharing in the work and cleaning fish. The cold winter water drum fillets have a yellow strip of fat on top of the back and another strip on the belly that we zipped off with the knives while cleaning the fish.

Those winter fillets are just as good as walleye fillets. As a matter of fact, the walleye is a member of the perch family.

Most of us don't eat the drum in summer, many having worms and the flesh is not as good as catfish in warm water. We do enjoy eating walleye in the summer, though.

We used to eat a few drum (croakers and redfish) when we lived on the Gulf. The "hardheads" we caught there resembled our channel cats, except for being pretty much tasteless as far as being good table fare.

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
The "hardheads" we caught there resembled our channel cats, except for being pretty much tasteless as far as being good table fare.

So they matched yer cookin perfectly then  :twisted: ;D ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
So they matched yer cookin perfectly then  :twisted: ;D ;D
  ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh, I think BC would agree, my camp kettle stew has lots of flavor.  :twisted: Sasquatches come back for seconds and thirds.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments